Home

Signed his own death warrant!

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I was playing X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter yesterday, and something really wierd happened. I was flying an A-wing for the Rebel side, intercepting TIE fighters so our Y-wings could strike a star destroyer. One of the AI Y-wing pilots had gotten himself in trouble, and I went to his rescue.

The TIE interceptors were right on him--when I made my attack run, a strafed the Y-wing's tail on accident. Just a few shots, nothing to a Y-wing's heavy shielding...I forgot about it and quickly finished off the attacking interceptors. Then I was off to the next problem.

Later on in the battle, after we'd driven off the star destroyer and were finishing off the TIEs it had left behind, I heard a strange laser sound I was unfamiliar with passing close, several shots of which impacted my shields. The damage minimal, I figured that one of my wingmates had accidentally hit me this time. I forgot about it.

A few minutes later, it happened again. I heard that bugger fly past me and strafe my tail as he did it. This time I was hit more seriously, and there was no mistaking the AI pilot's intentions! I set my targeting computer to select whichever craft was targeting me...and sure enough, that crazy Y-wing was after me.

His attack didn't last long after that. Even with my shielding depleted, my superior speed and maneuverability meant that the pilot had signed his own death warrant. biggrin.gif 'Next time,' I told the cloud of flaming debris, 'just let it slide.'

There's a parable in there somewhere.

------------------

"Hey, Rocky...watch me pull a rabbit out of my--Help! Help! It's got me--!"

Guest SlasherX

It's either a bug or you somehow threatened the AI. Did you heard "Seize your attack or be fired upon" or "You just attack your own wingmate" or whatever? It did happened in XWA if you do that.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Well, in XvT, nothing is said until after you've destroyed the ship. Your commander will come on and say, 'You have just destroyed a friendly craft!' Plus, a score penalty shows up in the middle of your screen.

The funny thing is that when I blew up the Y-wing, no reprimand was voiced, no points deducted...

My theory is that friendly fire incidents are programmed into the game for added realism. biggrin.gif

------------------

Guest Thrawn

This happens in all games since TIE Fighter. If you attack or accidently shoot a wingmate, one or all will attack you.

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Zoom Rabbit

But I've hit my wingman several times (always on accident) and nothing like this has happened...

Maybe when I've pissed them off before, they got wasted before they could get to me. biggrin.gif

------------------

Guest Thrawn

Yeah, they wait till the primary objectives are finished.

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Fondas

Yesterday I was trying to take down a barrack [sp?] cruiser, so I ordered my wingmates to attack and then pressed alt+c to close my mfd. As I approached it, an eyeball picked me up and slided in my six. No problem, turned , chased him and few seconds later he was stardust. The funny part is that I was really close to the cruiser, so I turned and instantly fired 2 proton torpedos at it... when my wingman was passing by ! What are the odds for that ? Booom ! He took both of them !

Guess what ? He didn't turn hostile ! wink.giftongue.gif

------------------

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more... Follow me...

TZG+7

[This message has been edited by Fondas (edited August 14, 2000).]

I've done that before too. I was playing it online a long time ago (probably when I first got XWA). We were approaching the enemy head on, and I loaded up some missles and I got em in my sights for a lock. And as soon as I fired two missles out, one of my wingmen flys right in front of my scopes and BOOM! He goes spinning out of control, and starts yelling at me like I did it on purpose. biggrin.gif BTW, we played a match one on one after the next few games, and I beat em. Ah, Those were the days... biggrin.gif<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Tek Gunner (edited August 14, 2000).]

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I guess sometimes the wingmen have a sense of humor, and sometimes they don't.

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to try assigning our command ship as a target to my wingman and see what happens. biggrin.gif

------------------

Out of all the flight sims I've ever played, be it in space or the atmosphere or whatever, the AI in Jane's World War II Fighters apparently loves flying into your fire. Any time I'm shooting up a bomber or a transport, one of my wing men dives through my shots. It rips his wing off and he yells, "Stop shooting! I'm on your side!"

------------------

I don't need a fancy title. I'm better than you and you know it.

redstormvfa87@icqmail.com

Guest Marril

Cease your attack at once or you _will_ be fired upon!

Yeah, right. I decided to take out a CRS's shield gen, nothing...

Isn't it fun in TIE Fighter when you're an an Interceptor and you kil your home frigate...

BTW, I seem to remember in a debriefing for TIE Fighter, when my superior officer says "Nice shot... TRAITOR!", then Vader said "You should never fire on an Imperial starship" in a VERY threatening manner, but they were supposed to read my debriefing confused.gif It must've been because I shot my FRG...

------------------

Why is it that whenever someone says SOL I am always in trouble... whether it be Standards of Learning or (the other version). I'm always screwed.

--Tyais

I was bombing a space platform in XWA, with my wingmen in front of me and a bt to the sides of my cross hairs. I launched a volley of torpedoes and opened up with my lasers. I saw an explosion in front of me and said "That's funny, the station is too far away for my torps to hit it already..." I then realized I was shooting at my own torpedoes! The blast radius knocked my wingmen about and they attacked me biggrin.gif

------------------

I hate redundant hipocrites. I also hate hipocrites who are redundant.

Waste not humiliations upon those who have ben made uncouncious

It’s like this: If the perp raises a fist -- you raise a 5 pound claw hammer. If he picks up a knife, pick up a circular saw. If he pulls out a gun, you respond with a short-range tactical nuclear weapon

And remember kids, never play inside a nuclear reactor unless you really really want to!

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Official forum Psychic

Archived