Home

What is wrong with LucasArts?

Guest Admiral Bradbury

Guest Admiral Bradbury

I have been a star wars fan for 4 years. The reason for me becoming a star wars fan was due to me buying one of those LucasArts Archive games. After I purchased the collection I decided to watch the entire Starwars trilogy for the first time. Since then I have purchased every single PC Starwars game except for the Lucas Learning products. I was excited about Obi Wan, but it was cancelled. Now it seems that LucasArts have forgotten the roots of it's success. LucasArts don't seem to realise that in a few years time, games on consoles will be forgotten, yet games which were made for the PC, even since 1992, will be regarded as classics and future generations will purchase them and they too will become fans of Starwars and LucasArts products.

We've been through this already. LA is going through a rough time, just as every company does. Give them a chance to get everything back to the way it should be. To do that, they need people who will actually stay with the company once they hit success.

Let's wait and see what this new game that they plan to announce soon will be.

------------------

"Noobies Suck"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Rogue15

the question shouldn't be what's wrong with lucasarts, but instead, what's wrong with the people who blame everything on lucasarts. Lucasarts is awesome, they bring cool games out, i think next year is going to be lucasarts year, or it'll be the year after that, you have to remember lucasarts is getting use to the new technology, some are probably just learning how to use some of the stuff on these consoles, the thing that probably would be a more better question is this:

Why isn't lucasarts putting games on pc anymore?

• 1 month later...
Guest Scoundrel67

Please refer back to my December 10, 2000 post in this forum. That post will answer more than just a few of your questions.

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Guest Scoundrel67

Admiral Bradbury and Rogue 15, are you still out there?

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Guest Scoundrel67

tongue.gif to laziness!

What do you do in the tech business, Rogue 9?

------------------

Guest Rogue15

hey, lucasarts is making games for the pc still! Star Wars Battleground (i can't wait!!!), and Battle For Naboo (direct x 8 will ruin all my other games, so until dx 9 comes out, i'm not getting it).

Guest Hu Man Bing

As far as I can see, the only single genre which Lucasarts truly distinguished itself with the Star Wars franchise was the space flight sim. I've played all the flight sim games from X WingCD to X Wing Alliance, and no other game comes close.

They do very good adventure/story games, such as Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, but these are not Star Wars related.

Their FPSes were above average (Dark Forces being very quickly eclipsed by the BUILD engine, and Jedi Knight looking very pretty but being quite badly thought out). Unforgivably, with the Jedi Knight game, they sort of took it upon themselves to directly contradict everything that Lucas had already established with the films. Jerec and the Dark Jedi were in my opinion very uninspired and boring bosses, as well as using both Dark Side and Light Side powers. Logical and stylistic flaws like these were forgivable for a lesser known franchise, but with Star Wars it is a heck of a liberty.

Supremacy (or Rebellion in the US) was a very shallow game, although it looked good. Its micromanagement was inferior to that of Civilization or Master of Orion, and its battle sim elements was very weak and bitty.

I haven't played Force Commander myself, but the reviews that I have read of it hint that it's not bad or good, just competent.

Guest Scoundrel67

You have learned well, Grasshopper! Lucas Arts has supposedly reached it's nadir and is in the process of reinventing itself. Time will tell.

------------------

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Expert Rookie

Battleground will probably be a HUGE success. LucasArts is teaming up with Ensemble Studios (they made the best selling game of all time Age of Empires.)

------------------

"Good, our first catch of the day."

-Captain of the ISD Tyrant, seen in the Empire Strikes Back

Guest Scoundrel67

Do yourselves a HUGE favor and wait until Daily Radar, Game Spy, Game Spot, etc. review all future Lucas Arts titles before you hand over your money. You might not agree comletely with any given review, but if they all pan a game then you can be certain that it's not worth your money. At the very least, poor reviews should make you wait until the game drops from $45 to $25 before you take a chance on a mediocre title.

------------------

Archived