Home

The Collectors Pack by Lucas Arts....

nova_wolf

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY !!!

Force Commander, Rogue Squadron and Ep1 Behind Scenes do not a decent collectors release make !

If they really wanted to show off what they could do, and release games people actually want, then they shouls have released :

Jedi Knights + MOTS

Supremecy

Pod Racer

X-Wing Alliance

This set represents FPS, Strategy (did not have beautiful graphics, but then again, it didnt NEED ful blown drool inspiring 3D which needed a top line machine. Never have I seen such depth in a strategy), Racing (best god damn racing game EVER ! WipEout can kiss its ass god bye on this one !), and the PREMIER fly'em up.

None of this ****e they make today... (Flame retardent clothes on about now me thinks...."

------------------

Nova Squadron, the Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the Nebulon B Frigate 'Oracle', home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - SSDs (See our work with the Iron Fist !) !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Originally posted by Fondas:

Although I do agree with you, there is a perfectly logical explanation behind LA's release: Marketing rolleyes.gif

Do you want to clarify that ?

How does issuing a substandard collection of crap do well for you in the Marketing Department.

Being a business studies student, I have looked at this, and think that if LA realy wanted it to look good, it should have included its better, and now hard to find, games, not this ****e they are producing currently (although Pod Racer Revenge and Rogue Leader show potential)

------------------

Nova Squadron, the Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the Nebulon B Frigate 'Oracle', home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - SSDs (See our work with the Iron Fist !) !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

I have nothing against Rogue Squadron, but compared to X-Wing Alliance...

I just cannot understand why the pack needed TWO flight sims / flight-em ups !

I do know of Jedi Knights 2, and looks DAMN fine. E3 demo was shown, had everyone's jaws on the floor, and then they were told that what they had shown was only TEN WEEKS worth of work ! OH YEAH !

But I am more interested in new project 'Knights of the Old Republic' - by Bioware (Baldurs Gate) and will be in same style and use same system ! I am hoping that the Exar Kun storyline comes up at some point in it... But I anticipate it to be DAMN fine if Bioware are allowed full control, with no interference from LA (sorry, but latest stuff from LA just hacks me off)

------------------

Guest Rogue15

i'd really be interested in a

'TIE Fighter Alliance' for pc. maybe it'd have a pilot who was in biggs' training squadron?

I think that is a really great idea...

Call Lucas, tell him we got some good **** for him !

------------------

I think that is a really great idea...

Call Lucas, tell him we got some good **** for him !

------------------

Guest Fondas

Since you are a business student, you shouldn't forget the first rule : Maximizing profit while minimizing the cost.

What did that "collector's pack" cost LA ? nothing ! What profit is it possible to make ? some.

There are some people, focusing on what specific target groups want. They made surveys and found out that this specific combo can flow cash to their company , without lifting a finger.

It' common secret by now that LA is not what it used to be. They are focusing on younger target groups, while abandoning the mature ones. Just take a look at their latest releases.

they call it strategy , I call it incompetence. It's that simple.

Can you really think of a LA game, AFTER XWA, that could satisfy the 22-30 target group ? I dodn't think so.

They like it or not, the title "Star Wars" is not good enough by itself. With the pressure of the competition breathing heavily on them, they simply cannot afford to release second rate games...

..to think about it, even the mighty Sierra got sold...

------------------

"No matter how pretty the bait,

a hook is still a hook !"

TZG+7

Originally posted by Fondas:

Since you are a business student, you shouldn't forget the first rule : Maximizing profit while minimizing the cost.

They like it or not, the title "Star Wars" is not good enough by itself. With the pressure of the competition breathing heavily on them, they simply cannot afford to release second rate games...

..to think about it, even the mighty Sierra got sold...

1) But maximising profit should never be done at the detremental cost of quality or reputation.

2) They cannot continue releasing second rate crap, but they are STILL spewing it from every orifice (FC, Bombad Racer, Battleground, Demelotion, Power Battles)

3) Sierra are not QUITE that bad yet...

------------------

Guest Fondas

My thoughts, exactly !

The only problem is that they dont have to worry about their reputation or quality anymore, since they have managed to flash it down the drain, a long time ago !

Regarding Sierra, I merely mentioned them because it used to be one of the best, if not THE best S/W company around.

There is a sarcastic saying in Greek, which unfortunatelly i cannot transelate in English without loosing it sarcasm and meaning, describing what LAC is trying to do with those collector's packs... wink.gif

As far as the space combat sims are concerned , I'm very pessimistic ! Since Larry Holland and TG has left the building, there is not even a sign of a good quality sim... rolleyes.gif

P.S. The world I was looking for is "opportunism" !

[This message has been edited by Fondas (edited June 21, 2001).]

Guest Rogue15

rogue leader and battlegrounds at least look promising. I'm excited about battlegrounds since there's suppose to be tons of units, and that scenerio editor. at least EVERYTHING isn't revolving around episode 1. i liked the episode 1 games, mainly the phantom menace since you could do alot in that game. At least they're not going to try to make another xwing game, i think they have EVERY right to be afraid to make one. these are the questions they probably went through:

Will it be good enough for the fans?

Will we accidentally port it to console a month before its release and tick a great number of fans off?

What more new craft can we add?

Should we base the game off of books?

I think by not going ahead and making another space combat simulator, they decrease their chances of angering even MORE fans if it doesn't live up to expectations. IF they'd take the chance and nobody would like it, they'd lose profit and business.

forgive me if none of this makes any sense. i'm just typing to keep from getting bored.

Battlegounds will be NAFF (and that is being optimistic, polite, kind etc) !

For Vader's sake, the AT-AT is caled a 'Heavy Duel Mech' !

NOT a good sign !

------------------

So what, all 10 civs have the same units do they ?

But so what if they change a name. You still have a whole shed load of units whom you will want to remember. Whether the names are real (which they should be - lets face it !) or a new set of anmes, you will still want to remember them for the purposes of discussions.

I think it was pointless !!!!

------------------

Forgive me for going slightly off topic here.....

If there's one thing I hate about games these days, it's this increasing trend to making them way too short. To take an LEC example, Starfighter. It showed potential, good engine (if a bit simplistic at times), OK story (could have done with some revamping though), but could be completed in about half a day. Another one of my favorite new-ish console games, Zone of the Enders, does the same thing. Inspired engine, great story, takes under 7 hours ( eek.gif ) to complete. Compare this to older games, some of which could take weeks to finish (A prime example being the great Day of the Tentacle).

Unfortunately, the same thing is creeping slowly into PC gaming. (*cough*Rogue Squadron*cough*) Before long we're going to be playing space sims with one mission.

</rant> smile.gif

Archived