Home

Kotor 2: Upgradeable Gloves

tygaran

I know a bit about modding, but I'm not sure where to start with this sort of thing.

In Kotor 2 both the Handmaiden and Bao Dur have unique 'feats' associated with unarmed combat. While I can mod in new gloves/gauntlets with better bonuses, I was wondering if there is a way to make gauntlets upgradeable in some fashion? Maybe make them treated as melee weapons for upgrade purposes but still fitting in the glove slot and enhancing unarmed combat.

Alternatively, is there a way to create a model-less melee weapon which is treated as an unarmed strike?

So, the Request is for an Upgradeable Unarmed Attack. :duel2:

In Kotor 2 both the Handmaiden and Bao Dur have unique 'feats' associated with unarmed combat. While I can mod in new gloves/gauntlets with better bonuses, I was wondering if there is a way to make gauntlets upgradeable in some fashion?

The glove item type aren't upgradeable in the normal game AFAIK. I don't know if there is some way to specify what item types are upgradeable, I haven't been able to find where it is determined.

Alternatively, is there a way to create a model-less melee weapon which is treated as an unarmed strike?

While you could make a weapon without a model, the problem with this would be that the game would treat the attack as a weapon attack, not an unarmed attack. Thus none of the Unarmed combat feats would apply, neither would the Handmaidens Echani Strike feat nor Bao'Dur's lightning fist.

Unless someone know how to make gloves upgradeable using the normal workbench system the easiest, but not very elegant, way of working around it would be to make one item template for the gloves for every possible upgrade combination. Then you could use a new entry in the workbench activation dialog which would allow you to "upgrade" the gloves, taking away the components and switching out the gloves for the corresponding item with matching properties.

Well, after a days worth of baseitem.2da experimentation, I've found a way that appears to work as I intended.

Basically, I created a copy of the Gauntlets entry in the baseitem.2da

Then I updated the following columns:

label: Gauntlets changed to Enh_Gauntlets

weapontype: **** changed to 1 {like other melee weapons}

critthreat: **** changed to 2

crithitmult: **** changed to 3 {without these 2, the crit threat looked weird; 21-20,x0}

powereditem: 0 changed to 1 {seemed to need this so text would display properly}

itemtype: 19 changed to 2 {like the Vibro Sword}

Then I created a custom glove and used a GFF editor to change the Upgradeable value to 2. {tried 3 first, but that gave lightsaber upgrade options, which caused a crash when I clicked on the color crystal slot}

Without any additional item properties, the gloves ended up with some text displaying the Critical Threat as 19-20,x3 {not sure how to verify these numbers are actually used in attack/damage rolls within the game engine}

I may also change one or more of the reqfeat columns to require specific unarmed attack related feats.

So, mechanically it appears to work.

What would be cool would be some kind of visual effect which appears on/around the hand and/or forearm once combat begins {same timing as a lightsaber turning on/off}

But this is an area I definitely have no talent for. *sigh*

Archived