Home

Can't access in game menu on Windows XP - any help appreciated!

mwoodroof

I have managed to get GF to run on my Windows XP machine by turning the anti aliasing off in my GeForce 6600 GT's control panel. (Before I did this the graphics were very glitchy indeed!)

However, I have another problem. I have searched the forum but can't find any threads about it.

Basically the game seems to be running fine EXCEPT... I can't access the in game menu. Pressing F1 does nothing. I can control Manny, move around, look in my inventory, examine and use stuff, but F1 does not work, and without that the game is pretty much unplayable (can't save game).

Aaaaaaaagh!

So near and yet so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

As far as I can remember, you could use F5 to save and F7 to load directly. The other Fx also had other functions.

Hmmm, can't see any mention of those shortcuts in the list of controls in the readme file. You may be right, but when I hit F5 and F7 nothing happens. It seems like the function keys are just not registering.

Has anyone else had any experience of this?

As far as I know, noone's ever had this problem before.

If you haven't tried it already, you could have a go at messing about with the compatibility mode settings for grimfandango.exe

You could also try running it in windowed mode, see if that makes any difference, although I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head and I'm not sure the game runs as well in a window.

Failing that, you could try getting hold of a gamepad with lots of button on, one of those should bring up the menu. Hopefully, you won't need to access the menu to actually configure it, otherwise maybe someone can provide you with the necessary registry settings.

Other than that, I'm really out of ideas.

Good luck!

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!!! I am officially a complete idiot!

I have just tried your compatibility mode suggestions (never used that before). It didn't help. After much brain racking I came to the conclusion that it was not the game but the keyboard - I never use the function keys but checked them in other programs and found they were not working in those either! After further brain racking, looking at the keyboard drivers etc, contemplating reinstalling them, I finally realised the answer...

...TURN THE FUNCTION LOCK ON!!!

I can't believe it. Didn't realise my keyboard had one. Turn it on and the function keys miraculously start working.

Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry for being an imbecile.

Archived