Home

Raven overdid the in-level cutscenes

No Body

I enjoyed JA, but I found the in-level cutscenes REALLY annoying.

"Make your way to the Jedi temple." It should have said "Make your way through a little bit of the jungle, then watch a cutscene of the temple."

My first fight with Tavion, I was really getting into it, then without any warning at all, the game rips control away from you to show her getting away. The second fight with her isn't much better as the computer duels with her for probably a full minute before you get to take control. Oh gee, you mean I actually get to do something now?

The worst has to be when you and Kyle are trapped in a large room. You eventually find a hole in the wall, but before you have a chance to try jumping into it, a cutscene takes over as Kyle tells you to follow him (or whatever) and you see your character jumping through the hole. Does this cutscene cover the loading of another portion of the level? No. Does it allow the computer to do something you wouldn't have been able to do yourself? Nope. It's just a hole in the wall with maybe a one-story drop. So why the h*** do I need to have the game show me what to do? Was Raven afraid that players would be too stupid to follow Kyle through the hole?

All of Raven's games seem to be like this, using in-level cutscenes for things the player could easily do themselves. "Ooh, a big machine! I bet I have to turn... Oh look a cutscene of me turning it on." "Wow, that's one tall bridge! It's going to fun to walk... Ok, so I only get to watch a cutscene of my character walking across it" "Holy crap, that's a huge building! I wonder how I'm going to... Gee, a cutscene showing me walking up and entering the building. How surprising..."

Call me crazy, but I want to actually play the games, not watch a cutscene of the computer doing it.

Archived