Home

Modding starfighter ships

Jovin

Hi folks! First time poster, modeler, big fan of a free space sim called Orbiter which uses real physics, etc. It's a blast.

I've been considering a mod for Orbiter for Star Wars vessels, to allow them to do miracle-tech things like manipulate their trajectory via gravity/intertia manipulation, to allow star fighters, small vessels, etc. to fly about in space like they do in the films. It would be a fairly intense exercise, and Orbiter does not yet support multi-player or collision detection or turbolasers, etc.

Having picked up BF2, I think it may be easier to get what I'm looking for by modding the space flight dynamics in this game, as they're obviously arcade style and not very convincing, particularly the acceleration/deceleration physics (not too mention the torpedoes 'falling' downwards relative to the firing vessel, no matter where they are).

I just downloaded the Mod tools and I'm going through the documentation, but cannot find an answer to my question below (yet).

Question for folks in the know:

* Is it possible to mod the space flight dynamics of the starships in BF2?

More specifically, I'm thinking of changing the behavior of starships to allow them to accelerate to whatever speed they want, without that fake 'drag'. I'd also like to customize the turn radius for all ships, especially the CIS ships.

Thanks in advance!

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

LOL! Thanks! I think ...

Actually, I got some helpful replies over on the gametoast forums. It turns out that I can't do everything I want, but I can tweak things a bit, I'm going to do this for my own single player space maps I run, because it's bugging me. I'm actually rather familiar with orbital mechanics, enough to see just how wack the BF2 space flight really is.

I may do a space mod, but I'm working on a Middle Earth DEM project and taking a 4 month 3DS class, so it won't be until after that.

I WILL have to consider my Orbiter Star Wars mod idea though, that would at least allow me to fly around real space with actual gravity effects and so on. It's pretty fun to slingshot around a large gas giant and realize you're moving along at hundreds of thousands of kilometers per hour. I'll amuse myself with flybys of the Deathstar mod that's been put out for Orbiter and converting some SW ship models like the star destroyer classes, the MF and sundry. That'll keep me busy for a while ..

Cheers

Archived