Home

Editing a description in the .uti file (and changing model type)

Gavroche

Hello !

You who may not have yet encoutered a n00b today, who therefore haven't get the occasion to spread your kindness/to express your contempt toward these pathetic guys while it is 18:30 PM (at least, in France), which means you may have spent a whole day without helping/mocking at one, don't panic !

Gavroche will today make sure you have met one.

So, here is the trouble :

According to this tutorial, I have to put my ResRef number bewteen some {} in the Description section. The funny thing is that, everywhere I look, I do not see any {} in the Desc. section (screenie here).

So, oh the horror, I do not have any description in-game. Could someone help/mock at a poor n00b needing assistance ?

According to this tutorial, I have to put my ResRef number bewteen some {} in the Description section. The funny thing is that, everywhere I look, I do not see any {} in the Desc. section (screenie here).

So, oh the horror, I do not have any description in-game.

I have no idea what that tutorial is trying to say, but in order to get a description you'll just have to type it into the "Identified description" box. I see from the screenshot that your game is in French though, so you'll have to use the "Set Language" button below the box to change to the French locale first before you type in the description. But I'm not sure KotorTool fully supports editing Non-English text strings, so you might have to use K-GFF for that to get it to work properly.

If you use K-GFF, open your UTI file, find the DescIdentified field, right-click on it and choose "Add string" in the popup-menu. Then select the string that gets added under the DescIdentified field, change the language and gender form your string is for (in the boxes to the right), and repeat for any language variants you want of your description. The game will pick which string to use depending on its language setting.

Same thing goes for the name of the item, but you add that under the LocalizedName field instead.

Mmm. I was almost sure that it was a question of language (I remember the USM mod with sabers with no description and no name). I just downloaded K-GFF. I'm going to see how it is working.

Edit : Yeeees it's working. You who, finally, haven't got the possibility to help/mock at a n00b, don't panic !

The n00b is going to try to get something else that a white square for his robe picture. And he will even try to skin his robe ! Gavroche promises you many occasions to express your feelings toward these people.

Oh, and thanks for the tip stoffe, by the way ^^

Edit: I promised it, right ? And moreover I am double-posting, just to make you sure I am a true n00b and to make me sure you will act consequently (and also a bit because I feared an edit wouldn't be seen. But that's included in the n00b profile, anyway).

So, I successfully skinned a Jedi robe, it looks horrible because I used light colors such as pink, green and blue to localize what was on the .tga file, but I did it. Then, I extract a basic Jedi Robe icon into a .tga, I modify the picture (but it's still a 64*64), save, put the icon in the Override, run the game, and when I click on both "Inventory" or "Equipment", the game crashes.

It is 21:03 (still in France) and you may not have another occasion to take care of a n00b today. Here is your chance.

Edit : I guess that's something about transparence. But I can't make transparence with a .tga, can I ?

Re-edit : That was a transparence problem, indeed. And I forgot Gimp. Sorry for this useless double-post, RedHawke.

Re-re-edit : Before continueing, I would like to apologize for all the n00b thing. I felt really stupid at that moment (and it wasn't inappropriate, because the solutions were easy to find) and I had been working for hours on the KotOR tool, so I guess I was a bit deranged.

This time, I have a new problem and I can't find a way to resolve it.

I wanted to make a new armor that Bastila could wear, however Bastila does not have the feat required (that's not really the main problem, which follows : ) and I want this armor to let the Dexterity bonus max to 8, as Jedi robes does.

I can't just take a PFBDxx.tga (or a PFBE, F... which are armors' texture), edit it and color it as I wish, because my .uti being a Jedi robe, the .tga will be put on a PFBI body (which is robes' texture), which includes a) a skirt and b) not an armor silhouette at all.

In other terms, it's like if the armor texture was put on a Jedi robe silhouette, completly messing the colors and the shape.

On the other hand, if I try to make an armor, well Bastila won't wear it because of the feat she lacks, and it also bothers me because of the DEX bonus max (which is automatically set by some .2da file, I guess).

I have two solutions (or two ways to find a solution) : Find the way to put an armor .tga on a Jedi robe .uti, or find the way to delete all the restrictions necessary to wear an armor...

Have you an idea to help me ?

This time, I have a new problem and I can't find a way to resolve it.

I wanted to make a new armor that Bastila could wear, however Bastila does not have the feat required (that's not really the main problem, which follows : ) and I want this armor to let the Dexterity bonus max to 8, as Jedi robes does.

You could do this by adding a new Base Item type for your special armor. Open baseitems.2da with a 2DA editor and find line 39 (which is used for armors with model type D), copy this line and paste it in at the end of the 2DA file. Then make the following changes to columns on the new line:

• Change the (Row Label) number to the next one in sequence.
  • Change the Name value to ****
  • Change the label value to a unique tag (without spaces in it) that lets you identify your new row.
  • Change the reqfeat0 value to 55 to remove the Light Armor feat requirement.
  • Change the dexbonus value to -1 to remove the dexterity bonus cap.
  • Change the itemtype value to 37 so it will not restrict FP use.

Then click on another row to commit the changes, and save your modified baseitems.2da file in your override folder. Remember the line number of your new row. Next open the UTI file for your Bastila armor with a GFF Editor and set the value in the BaseItem field to the line number of your new row in baseitems.2da.

Keep in mind that this new base item uses the same body model and textures as the regular 5 Defense Armors, so if you have a unique texture for it give it a high TextureVariation number in the UTI template and name your texture accordingly.

Archived