Home

'Null path' errors

Marauder's Fury

After 3 years spent with KotOR, I've decided to get more out of the game and downloaded this Kotor Tool program. I've seen people creating great mods and I'm sure this program is at least as good as an official set would be, but I simply can't get it running.

After the initial path manager window, the program starts and gives a "null path" error immediately. OK, no problem with that. I've uninstalled TSL (and I refuse to reinstall it) so it isn't surprising. I select Problem is, the same error is generated when I try to expand the BIF tree as well.

I checked the first two items on treeview ("Build BIF tree at startup" and "Build Model BIF node on Tree" thingies) but it didn't help. My Path Manager doesn't look like what's shown in the Help window, and I can't seem to specify any path individually... only the directory where KotOR is installed.

I'm using Framework 3.0. Should I revert to 1.1 or what? How am I supposed to fill the BIF tree?

Thanks in advance.

You can't expect the KotOR Tool to open the KotOR II sources, when it isn't installed! .Net Framework (1.1, 2.0, 3.0) shows a 'Null Path' Error, if you try to work with files, that don't exists, so they have no path! ;)

If you want to make mods for KotOR II, you have to install the game! ;)

Greetings

Joris

Does KotOR Tool still show both KotOR I and KotOR II root nodes even though you've uninstalled TSL? If so, it may be detecting TSL in your registry and you may need to remove it manually (HKLM\Software\LucasArts\KotOR2).

To build the .bif tree, KotOR Tool needs to be able to find a valid chitin.key and its data\*.bif files. Normally these are in the installation folder. You might double check this. It should be like this (where \ is your installation directory):

\chitin.key

\data\2da.bif

\data\gui.bif

\data\items.bif

(etc...)

If you think your chitin.key is corrupted, you can always grab it directly off your installation CD and drop it into your installation folder.

Edit: I assumed you were trying to make mods for KotOR, not TSL. If you were trying to make mods for TSL, then yes, as Joris1 said, you need to install the game first :p

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not interested in modding TSL, so I don't care about the first null path problem, but the second one (the entire BIF tree) is really annoying. I mean, what can you possibly do with an empty BIF tree?

I had to reformat my hard drive before installing KotOR, so there are no traces of TSL on my system at all. KotOR I root path is shown (auto-detected and true) and TSL path isn't. I've checked my chitin.key file and data folder and seen nothing suspicious. What would corrupt my files? I haven't put any mods in this new installation, either. I'm currently playing the game with no problems, all smooth.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not interested in modding TSL, so I don't care about the first null path problem, but the second one (the entire BIF tree) is really annoying. I mean, what can you possibly do with an empty BIF tree?

I had to reformat my hard drive before installing KotOR, so there are no traces of TSL on my system at all. KotOR I root path is shown (auto-detected and true) and TSL path isn't. I've checked my chitin.key file and data folder and seen nothing suspicious. What would corrupt my files? I haven't put any mods in this new installation, either. I'm currently playing the game with no problems, all smooth.

Thanks again!

Hmmm. One thing you could try is to point your TSL path to your KotOR path. Maybe getting rid of one Null Path error will get rid of both of them?

Nope, that didn't work, either... *sniff*

Here's the complete report of both error messages (if anyone ever bothers to read it):

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentNullException: Path cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(KotorTreeNode Root, Boolean noProgressIndication)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

kotor_tool

Assembly Version: 1.0.2210.16738

Win32 Version: 1.0.2210.16738

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Kotor%20Tool/kotor_tool.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 7.10.3052.4

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll

zafnctdi

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this

application or machine (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine

rather than being handled by this dialog.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentNullException: Path cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(KotorTreeNode Root, Boolean noProgressIndication)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.TreeView_BeforeExpand(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnBeforeExpand(TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanding(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll

kotor_tool

Assembly Version: 1.0.2210.16738

Win32 Version: 1.0.2210.16738

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Kotor%20Tool/kotor_tool.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

System

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 7.10.3052.4

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll

zafnctdi

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this

application or machine (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine

rather than being handled by this dialog.

Archived