Home

Slow cutscenes

HMC

I'm trying to run Grim Fandango on XP. I installed the patch successfully and I put all my Grimdata files in the GF directory, and when I run the game, it crashes and/or the sound stops working at various places. I tried running it with compatibility mode, and it fixed my problems, except now the cutscenes play very slowly, creating an annoying reverberating echo effect and making them incredibly tedious to sit through. Is there any way to fix this or am I pretty much stuck watching them like that?

For some people it works fine when running in compatibility mode, but I think your computer might have some CPU problem.

For ths first way you did it where you just moved the Grimdata to the GF directory (which sounds like what many people advise) try doing the first step in this thread

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=147235

1. While the game is running go into task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) , click on “Processes” tab, right click on GRIMFANDANGO.EXE, left click on Set Affinity, uncheck CPU 1 box and then click OK. (This doesn’t work sometimes)

I also had this problem (geez, what problem with G/F did I NOT have), for me this fixed it:

WIN Button + R -> type 'dxdiag' -> Go to the Sound tab (note: if you got 2+ soundcards, there will be 2+ tabs, find the one that represent the soundcard your game is using) -> There should be a slider right under "DirectX Functions" (Don't know the english name for it) -> Be absolutely, positivly sure that that bar is maxed out to the right ("Full acceleration" or something along these lines).

Now exit the window and fire up the game.

Hope that helps as much as it did for me :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just disabled compatibility mode and the opening cutscene works fine for me. I think some of the other in-game movies might still have a problem, but turning off compatibility just worked for me. :)

Unfortunately I get errors with the rest of the game when compatibility is off, such as sound not working and dialog freezing. So it seems when a movie occurs you will have to save before, quit and turn off compatibility, watch movie, then save and quit and turn compatibility back on for a temporary fix.

Archived