Home

Buddhist monks demonstrate in Burma

Dagobahn Eagle

Wiki article

A wave of anti-government protests started in Myanmar (Burma) on 15 August 2007, and has been ongoing since then. The protests are mainly a reaction to the decision of the ruling junta, the State Peace and Development Council, to increase the price on fuel by as much as 500%. Led by students and opposition political activists, the protest demonstrations were at first dealt with quickly and harshly by the junta, with dozens of protesters arrested and detained. But since 18 September, the protests have been led by thousands of Buddhist monks, and those protests have been allowed to proceed. Some news reports are referring to these protests as the Saffron Revolution.

Any thoughts on this? With the Army becoming more and more present in the streets, I fear this may end like the Tienanmen protests in '89, but then again, I know next to nothing of the subject.

I'm currently reading this thread on the subject over at the Randi forum. There's a Chinese poster there who seems to have a good deal of insight.

According to Wulfmann, my Chinese acquaintance on the Randi forum, there's already been a Tiananmen Square-style massacre in Burma - only a year before the '89 massacre in Beijing, China. It would seem I am a reverse psychic, capable of predicting the past. Intriguing.

I hope that this ends without violence.
Ditto.

It appears that the troops have escalated the violence. Link

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — Soldiers and police took control of the streets Friday, firing warning shots and tear gas to scatter the few pro-democracy protesters who ventured out as Myanmar's military junta sealed off Buddhist monasteries and cut public Internet access.

On the third day of a harsh government crackdown, the streets were empty of the mass gatherings that had peacefully challenged the regime daily for nearly two weeks, leaving only small groups of activists to be chased around by security forces.

"Bloodbath again! Bloodbath again!" a Yangon resident yelled while watching soldiers break up one march by shooting into air, firing tear gas and beating people with clubs.

• 4 weeks later...
According to Wulfmann, my Chinese acquaintance on the Randi forum, there's already been a Tiananmen Square-style massacre in Burma - only a year before the '89 massacre in Beijing, China. It would seem I am a reverse psychic, capable of predicting the past. Intriguing.

Ditto.

Yes, but there have been several incidents like the one you mentioned in '89. There have been several where people have been shot and killed. Most of them University students. They shut down universities for several years in order to stop the protestors. The true nature of this military regime is simply brutal, and disgustingly cruel. I read the book "Living Silence" on this topic.

Archived