Home

How to add Goggle Hook to a head model?

redrob41

I've been trying to add a Goggle Hook and Mask Hook (Helpers) to a few NPC head models in order to change them into playable characters. So far, no luck. I've tried this method by T7nowhere which works great for bodies and armor, but it won't work with heads. This is because Taina's replacer will only replace the xyz & uvw coordinates in a binary mdl file, and the helpers need to already exist in the binary mdls. I need to figure out how to hex edit the original binary mdl file, but I can only see where the names for GoggleHook and MaskHook should go, I don't know where the coordinates and other info for the helpers should be placed.

I've also tried merging models, but no luck either. I had trouble with importing a second model (requires a .3Ds file, and I've made my changes in a binary .mdl file).

I hope I can get some help on this, 'cause I've already done a lot of work on some Echani, and I'd like to be able to use them all (right now only 2 of 6 already had the hooks). I'd like to make more PCs, but I want to use more than just the 15 male, 15 female, and 4 human party members that come with the game (I want a little more variety).

Thanks.

I would recommend unlinking the helpers from another head and attaching them to the head you want them on, and then exporting and compiling it the normal way. That's just a suggestion, 'though. I have no idea if it will work. :)

Thanks for the offer. I gave it a try, but no dice :( While it's easy enought to copy the helpers, I can't find a way to convert the ascii back into a binary, and still have the head working. If I use MDLops, the eyes and teeth are floating outside of the skull :eyemouth: (MDLops won't work on mdls that have animations), and if I use Taina's replacer, it won't retain the new helpers. Oh well, I might just have to wait untill KAuroroaEditor is complete. Hopefully it will be able to handle this problem someday, even tho it can't do it now. From the Read me:

Right now only trimesh type nodes are rendered. This means no animations, no skinmeshes, no danglymeshes, no sabers, no lights, no emitters and no references. Sorry. On the plus side, area models do look cool in the rendering window.

Still there's hope, since KAurora can do levels from skratch, there's the chance it can someday do heads from skratch too. I'll just bide my time :ninja2: and think positively to help magnusII keep up the good work :wirehead:

Archived