Home

Losing sound and cut scene stuttering

lemonio

At first upon installation the game ran fine.

Then i also patched it and installed the launcher. The launcher did not work, so i continued to use the old one.

However at some point i began lost the sound, and i rebooted the game and that helped. That happened a few more times. Then at one point when the cutscene was going to begin the game froze. I tried rebooting the game, but it kept freezing at the beginning of the cutscene in the beginning after talking to the secretary.

I had originally just copied the files from the CD so this time i installed the game properly. Also this problem seemed like hyperthreading with its description, however i am not sure that my circumstances are the same. I lost sound at random moments when starting to talk or froze at cutscenes. Now however i began to ocassionally lose sound and my cutscenes now stutter.

I tried the hyperthreading solution, however only one of the CPU's is already checked so i could not uncheck the other. I tried running the game in 98 compatability and that did not help. However at this point i have tried running the game in 2000 compatability, and loading the game from inside the first cutscene. Like this, so far, it works. However if i go into the menu i usually lose the sound again. Do you know what my problem is?

Anyway, the game works fine except for the full motion video, such as the LucasArts logo at the beginning, what I presume is a sort of title screen, and things such as Manny's shadow and when the lift type thing up from the subterranean room Eva and Salvador are in descends after you leave.

i'm having a very similar problem

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having sound problems too. Me, I'm using the patched version with that updated launcher.

I have sound and everything, and the first load works. But when I go into the menu and select a save to load from while playing, I lose sound. So, essentially, I have to quit the game and re-enter every time I load, to re-gain sound.

Any suggestions?

[edit]

Ok, I re-installed it, still with the the mixnmojo launcher. However, this time I did not install the patch, and it has solved the problem, temporarily. I was able to save/load with the sound staying. I did that a few times. Shortly after, however, the sound just disappeared after I entered and exited the f1 menu.

I'll continue to experiment and mess around, but I'm not really finding a solution here...

• 3 weeks later...
Okay! Found something that works.

Download this.

Unpack it to C: or somewhere you can find it.

Start -> Run -> "cmd"

Navigate to the directory you put imagecfg in, for example:

cd c:\

When you're in the right directory, type:

imagecfg -a 0x1 "C:\Directory\Where\You\Insalled\GRIMFANDANGO.exe"

It'll output four lines of text, and then you're done. Turn off compatibility for GRIMFANDANGO.exe, and run the game.

Basically it sets the CPU Affinity before the game is running (since changing it in realtime doesn't help, and doesn't stick!), and saves it. It is woot.

I tried some of those hyperthreading things too but this one actually works!

Archived