Home

Game crashes after first cut scene no matter what I do.

Stcb

Literally. Tried playing it off the CD, on the hard drive, that custom launcher program, all the fixes I could find, still nothing. Tried the non-permanent hyperthreading thing as well, no dice. Running Windows XP SP2.

The crashing screen is that generic "Grim Fandango.exe or Grim.exe (depending on what version I'm trying, I've tried both without the patch and with) has encountered a problem and must close". I'm running a nVidia 8800 GT with 2 gigs of ram and about 2.5 gigahertz CPU, though I'm pretty sure none of that matters. It would run before I upgraded to this. Back then, I had a 6600 and a slower processor, don't know the exact speeds though.

Help?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean the first cut scene that automatically plays after the title screen. If I skip it with ESC, the game crashes. If I don't, the game crashes.

I don't think GF likes the nVidia 8800 series, I have the GTS, with the same problem you have. It will run in the tiny window mode, or you can disable DirectDraw Acceleration in DirectX Diagnostic, but it looks pretty crappy and has sound issues. Ive tried tweaking everything, I think we are sol.

have you tried the anti-aliasing nvidia card fix?

I haven't yet, but it happens to me too. I'm on a 8600, works in windowed mode though. You can make it full screen after that by hitting f1>options and changing to full screen and direct 3d mode, but some things are a bit see through.

My easy fix, was switch out the 8800 GTS for an old Geforce 6600 that we had lying around. Reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers 175.16 and everything is good. That's with XP, dual core 3Ghz AMD, and 2 MB ram.

Archived