Home

Maniac Mansion NES zombie hack

defgav

Hi, first post! Back in the day I was a part of the Maniac Mansion community on the fan boards (posted under the username "hal"). Then one day for whatever reason, I said I was leaving and not returning until I finished the NES rom hack I was making (a couple of you might remember I previously did the "Maniac Mansion: Rilo Kiley version" hack back then). That was like 2003. Now I've finally gotten around to finishing the new hack! But when I went to click on my old rusty link for the MM forum, it was dead. Bummer! But I searched around and found the fansite which basically said the closest semblance of an MM online community is here.

(btw, I am so excited to learn that the MM NES prototype rom is finally out there! Been waiting a long time for it.)

So yeah, onto the hack. It's really pretty anticlimactic for a project 5 years in the making (it's not like I was actually WORKING on it for 5 years solid! Just short bursts of getting off my ass here and there.)

It's a NES rom of Maniac Mansion hacked kinda crazy. Most of the text is changed. Some of the graphics are altered.. specifically the characters are ALL JACKED UP! Hence, they are zombies. See.. it kinda plays like a fake sequel: The radiation was so strong the first time the kids saved Sandy that it mutated them into zombies. Now they're out for revenge. The goal is to blow up the house!

Also, it sort of doubles as a "challenge hack".. since many items and dialog are changed/garbled, it makes it tough on the player unless they've played the game enough times to have basically memorized everything said in the game.

Oh, and the humor is pretty low brow, gotta admit. There are fart jokes and some profanity. So if you're easily offended, you might wanna stay away.

But if you're looking for a fresh spin on an old favorite, give it a try! Again, it's a .nes rom, so you'll need a NES emulator to play it.

It's available here: http://defgav.com/nes/mmzombie.htm

thanks and enjoy.

btw, this hack has nothing to do with the coincidentally-titled "Maniac Zombies" fansite which I just learned existed today. haha, cool.

btw2, the lack of a decent message board dedicated to MM these days inspired me to add one to my site NES Alley. So if you're a fan of the game, please feel free to sign up and post! http://www.defgav.com/nesforum/viewforum.php?f=5

thanks

defgav isnt it a better idea to offer this hacked rom as an ips patch? it should save both yourself and mojo from nintendo/lucasarts legal attention as I am sure they would be against free downloads of their game. although its a losing battle for both ninty and lucas its only polite to not give their game away free when there are other options.

perhaps you can provide an ips patch in place of this download?

Rob

Archived