Home

Computer Freezes when playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

ReVarre

Really odd problem, I've been browsing for a year for a solution but couldn't find any..

Explanation of how the problem occurs:

I start Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy MP, play for some seconds/minutes (varies) then everything freezes. I hear sounds repeating over and over and my monitor gets strange lines all over the screen. After a while the monitor display gets black and/or the monitor loses it's signal and the powerbutton on the monitor starts blinking. The computer is still on when this happends. I have to do a hard reboot to solve the hangup.

The problem has never occured in the menus, only when playing the actual game.

Explanation of when it occurs:

This doesn't happen with only this game, but seems to only occur when I'm playing older games like this one.. Newer games like oblivion, assassins creed, crysis etc works without any problems ... this seems to eliminate that the PSU or overheating would be the cause to my problems.

It also works (meaning it does not crash) with Quake 3 (just incase it uses the same core as jedi knight, it would prove as a useful information).

The problem only occurs on multiplayer, never happened even once on original single player campaign, but the "Dark Forces" mod freezes my computer immediately when actually playing the game.

My computer specs are:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 iP35 4DDR2-DIMM 3PCI 4PCIe SATA Audio GB-LAN Socket775 ATX

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo 2.33GHz 1333MHz FSB

• Video Card: Powercolor ATI Radeon 3850 HD 512Mb

• RAM: Corsair XMS2 Xtreme TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G 2x2GB (tot. 4GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL5-5-5-18

• The PSU is a BLACK EarthWatts 500W ATX, I got it with the box Antec Sonata III..

Perhaps the problem is related to an old technique applied to older games like this one, games around the year 2000 seem to be crashing most.

By researching this I've learned a lot of different solutions, none of them has worked by far:

• Reducing/increasing 2D Clock Frequencies
  • Turning off ATI Overdrive
  • Disabling the ATI Hotpoller service along with ASP.NET State Service

Thanks in advance!

/Rev

Archived