Home

Playing XWA for the first time

ralentor

Even though I've owned it since a few months after X-Wing Trilogy was released, I'm only now getting around to playing X-Wing Alliance, and I must say, I'm having a great time. I have very old hardware (Athlon XP 2000+, GF4 4600, 1GB DDR333, Asus A7V333 motherboard), and once I got the HUD text issue fixed (well, it's not perfect, but it's much better using the high-res font.dat file), I was up and running at 1600x1200 with all video and sound options maxed. I have just finished the prologue mission where you defect to the Rebellion, and the cutscenes are pretty impressive for a 1999 game. I also tried a quick skirmish using the default settings (me in a TIE against a bunch of other TIEs), and I loved that. Came away with 26 kills and 1 death, which I hope is good for a newbie. Anyway, I'm having a blast with this game.

I guess I'm not as good as I thought. I got my ass kicked in Mission 6 and 7 in the Prologue. With enough retries, I finally completed both of them. I don't have enough guts to take on any ISDs yet (and I wouldn't really know how to defeat them anyways), so I just retreated after clearing out the smaller ships.

Archived