Home

[KOTOR] Equipment for continuously active force powers

mark2000

In the movies, you would never see Yoda or any other Jedi call a time out every other minute to reactivate their force buffs. "If they can do that then why can't I?", I thought.

I'm recently trying to figure out a way to use force powers without having to worry about those annoying time limits. The idea is to create an item that, when equipped, will give me continuous effect of a certain force power while slowly draining my FP.

I'm still not that experienced at using KOTOR tool so I'm pretty stumped at the moment. I was wondering if someone could at least give me a hint on how to do these type of mods.

I agree that that would be a better idea.....except I suck at modding and based on my experiences with Oblivion, equipments have always been a guaranteed easy way for me to making an on/off switch for continuous effects.

Unfortunately, I honestly didn't expect things to be harder than simply making custom enchantments using default spells and stuffing them on jewelry.:(

I agree that that would be a better idea.....except I suck at modding and based on my experiences with Oblivion, equipments have always been a guaranteed easy way for me to making an on/off switch for continuous effects.

Unfortunately, I honestly didn't expect things to be harder than simply making custom enchantments using default spells and stuffing them on jewelry.:(

Yeah, Oblivion has a built-in mechanic for attaching spell effects to equipment. With KotOR, it doesn't matter if you make an item or edit a force power; either one is going to require that you edit the force power scripts. Whether you use a force power or an armband to activate it doesn't really matter.

Could it work if you set the force powers like Valor, Aura, Shield, Energy Resistance, etc. as passive force powers and had something in the character's heartbeat script that checked for those powers, and applied the effects that goes with the power your character knows? That way you wouldn't have to actually cast the spell, the game would just recognize you knew it, and automatically give you the necessary boosts?

Honestly, I'm starting to cave in with this. In terms of modding in the most basic level, I can manage to emulate the effects of force immunity and energy resistance. The problem is that; (1) the default list of effects do not have anything in it that ressembles some of master speed's effects, namely: the 2 extra attacks per round and increased player movement; and (2) neither are there any effects that allow the draining of force powers per second.

I guess I have to face the fact that the only thing that can possibly make this work is to make a new custom force power with the given effects and a script in it that turns the spell on and off everytime you cast it.

Where are the scripts for the default force powers located? I don't expect to succeed at this but I want to at least learn a few things.

the actual script is k_sp1_generic, though I highly recommend you stay away from this file. It's okay to look around and copy code but don't add anything. Bioware programed this file to make every Force Power work through this single file. I would recomment you simply make a new file.

From what I understand you want Force Aura to be a continuous effect. You'd have to send the power itself through a looping cycle and apply affects; I would do this myself but have no idea what you want specifically.

From what I understand you want Force Aura to be a continuous effect. You'd have to send the power itself through a looping cycle and apply affects; I would do this myself but have no idea what you want specifically.

Initially, the idea was just to create items that would emulate the effects of force buffs like speed, armor, force immunity, etc while at the same time slowly draining my FP. I thought that by using items, I wouldn't have to worry about scripting because simply equipping and unequipping the item would solve the problem of turning the effects on and off.

The problem I quickly encountered is that Kotor Tool apparently does not have everything that I need when adding effects to items, namely: the extra attacks per round, increasing movement speed, DC rolls of force immunity, and draining of FP.

Archived