Home

Dao Toolset Problem

Darth Payne

I can't for the life of me get this blasted thing to work.

I was all exited when i finally decided to get the PC version of this game so i could get to try the Toolset.

But what do i get when i try to use the thing?

The problem i have is probably well explained on this link, but so far i only get more confused and frustrated by trying to understand it.

I can't for the life of me get this blasted thing to work.

I was all exited when i finally decided to get the PC version of this game so i could get to try the Toolset.

But what do i get when i try to use the thing?

The problem i have is probably well explained on this link, but so far i only get more confused and frustrated by trying to understand it.

It would probably be useful if you tell more about your computer and setup: i.e. what hardware and operating system+service pack you use, if you got admin access on it, if the SQL Server Express service is running and properly responds if you try to connect to it with other utilities, etc.

It's pretty hard to suggest any solution when all you know is that "it doesn't work!!!" :p

Well, this is the systems data direct from the DAO Configuration Utility.

Intel® Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Service Pack 1

DirectX 10.0

No matter what i try to access the Toolset i get the 'Unnable to connect to database' problem.

No matter what i try to access the Toolset i get the 'Unnable to connect to database' problem.

I don't have Win Vista so I don't know if any specific configuration is required for it to work there.

You could check to see if the database is responding at all or if it's just the toolset having problems connecting to it. That would help narrow down on what end (either DAToolset or MS SQL Express) the problem lies.

Assuming these things work the same in Vista as in XP:

1. Go to the Windows Start menu and choose Run...
  2. Type in cmd in the box that opens and press the OK button.
  3. In the commandline prompt window that opens, type in: net start MSSQL$BWDATOOLSET and press the enter key.
  4. Then type in: sqlcmd -S .\bwdatoolset and press the enter key.

If you get a prompt that looks like 1> then the utility could connect to the database without problems, and the problem likely lies on the Toolset end of things. If you got an error message instead about it being unable to connect, then there is something wrong with the database and you might have to reinstall it.

Archived