Home

game problem am i to advanced? aoe doesnt run on my new system HELP!!!

haha i gota problem like this with another game no one responds to so yea i own the radeon 5750 with my new computer and it wont play my age of empires rise of rome it will but after like 20 mins or so sometimes like 10 it crashes has a error the game does not windows anyone know the problem here is my build for u i dont have error code now but i can give it sometime when im at home.

my build

processor: amd phenom x2 quadcore

graphics card: ATI radeon 5750

on board sound

motherboard: GA-MA785GT-UD3H or very close to that

ram: 4gb kingsford or w/e they were

hardrive: Western Digital black caviar

powersupply:550 watts

monitor:acer

that is my build on my computer and ii use the case antec nine hundred. so yea it just comes up with the dont send error screen with the aoeror icon pic saying it is indeed aoe ror(age of empires rise of rome) i know it is old but i love the game any hope for answers how to fix it or am i just to powerful for it?

Being too powerful for a game is not an accurate description. Incompatibility often results from an issue in an updated Operating System - eg. KOTOR difficulties running in Vista and W7.

Sometimes there are indeed issues with the GPU drivers that cause problems in a game, but again - this is linked to a specific OS.

From reading around, there seems to some problems with AOE I/Rise of Rome in vista(and hence w7).

The best you can do is try a compatibility install and ensure:

*you have latest directX

*latest catalyst drivers (<<links are in the updates thread)

*install in XP compatibility mode

*set game launcher to run in XP compatibility mode

Otherwise, it is goes down on the list of those early MS games that simply wont work in the 6.0 kernel or above(Vista or W7)

good luck

mtfbwya

ok first of all i got windows xp home media edition and it did wokr on an older laptop which had the same cd download and i had latest directx im sure if u need error code tell me i can get it and post it and this is for AGE OF EMPIRES RISE OF ROME collectors edition

that is what i have tell me if u need error code

You bought a directx11 card for XP? they are Dx9 compatible I guess.

You firstly need to clarify your xp build.. is it XP Home or Media Center Edition, as there is no such thing as Home Media edition. It is unlikely that it is the media center edition as that has ended its support cycle and is no longer deployed on new systems(unless its a rig you built yourself of course).

Once you have determined your version of windows, go and get the latest 10.5 catalyst drivers from this link. These were updated just a few days ago.

The latest directX was updated in February this year, please ensure you had that.

*make sure XP is updated to Service Pack 3 >> important seeing you have a newer card

Also, a fresh install of the game wouldnt hurt after ensuring you have all these updates. Try running the game without hacks/mods/no-cd fixes etc, off the original disc of course

You mentioned - onboard sound - it is important you determine your sound device and get the latest drivers for that.

You can use your device manager in windows to identify the model, if not the simple program PC wizard will give you a nice list of your specs and we can point you to the latest drivers for your sound chip ;)

Good Luck!

mtfbwya

ok sry yea i was tired haha it is media center edition but it has worked on this os before on my laptop, and yes this rig is custon built that is the build i gave u above and i got sp3 i belieive, andi am pretty sure i have the latest direct x but i will reinstall it to make sure

Archived