Home

Level based difficulty in Kotor 2?

DaneKoponen

Hello folks, I hope I'm posting in the right section- if not, please feel free to move or delete this at your discretion.

I'm a speedrunner, and after having played Kotor2 I found there were a number of obvious bugs and glitches that could be exploited to speed through the game. Further looking into this I found that it had already been done, VERY well might I add, by a fellow speedrunner at the SDA. For a sample, here's the entire planet of Korriban in under 4 minutes :)

Anyways, I was thinking about possible improvements and noticed a brief discussion of the enemies being leveled based upon player level. The full discussion here.

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/kotor_ii_done_quick__new_knights_of_the_old_republic_2_speedrun_in_157_now_out.html

So that got me to thinking- leveling up takes time, several seconds at least. Theoretically you could trim time from the game by leveling as little as possible, perhaps even staying level 1. In the ideal circumstances, you would remain at level 1 all game, and enemies would be leveled to you, providing easy fights all game since your weapons and armor would be vastly more effective by comparison.

However, I don't know anything about how the actual game system works, and I figured this seemed like a good place to ask :)

First off, this all assumes enemy difficulty scales to your level. If I'm wrong in assuming that, please ignore this silly thread ^_^

1. Is enemy difficulty scaled to the Exile's level ONLY? For instance, could I keep the Exile at level 1 and have all my teammates at level 10+, so that they would kill everything in one hit?

2. Or perhaps is it based upon the currently selected character? If that were the case, would enemy difficulty scale in real time, switching between characters?

3. Or perhaps is it based upon experience level, such that if you never leveled up and stayed level 1, the game would still scale enemy difficulty to the level you should be at if you spent your level-ups? (if you were level 1 but had 150,000 exp, enemies would be scaled for a level 10+ character?)

I'd appreciate any insight into this matter, thanks! :)

Archived