Home

[Solved] Problem compiling script for TSL

ceryxp

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been playing a lot of KotOR and TSL. For some time I've been using Achilles' Extended Force Powers Mod for K1. Every once in a while I would look around to see if anyone had done the same thing for TSL, with no luck. Finally, after years of doing basic things with KotOR Tool, I decided to try editing the script myself. I read the scripting tutorials on this forum, specifically on how to compile scripts and followed those steps. I started by trying to edit k_inc_force.nss using KotOR Tool, which was easy and I saved a copy of the altered nss for future reference. But when I tried to compile, KotOR Tool said it compiled, didn't give any error messages, but didn't produce a compiled k_sp1_generic.ncs anywhere that I could find. Next I downloaded Fred Tetra's compiler and followed the instructions as outlined in this thread. Again, the output stated that it was compiling but didn't produce a compiled ncs. I tested to ensure that I could compile other scripts by running a couple source files from other mods then testing the scripts in game, all worked as expected.

Here is an example of the changes I am making:

float fDuration = Sp_CalcDuration( 30.0 );

To:
float fDuration = Sp_CalcDuration( 60.0 );

These are the same changes that Achilles' did in their mod and should have the effect of doubling the duration of the power. I haven't altered any syntax so that shouldn't be preventing the script from compiling and the compiler never returns any errors. I have tried running every which thing as administrator in every possible combination. I have a copy of nwscript.nss in both my Override folder and the same folder as nwnnsscomp.exe.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get this to compile and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The scripts that I have been able to compile are much shorter than k_inc_force.nss, which is approximately 7000 lines. Could the length of the script be an issue? If there was a syntax error wouldn't the compilers return an error? Is there some magic combination of administrator rights and compatibility mode needed to get these to run?

I've placed a copy of the source script on my Dropbox if anyone would like to take a look at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su899xcz02k7rp9/k_inc_force.nss?dl=0

Now, while trying to find a solution to this problem I may have found an alternative method that would require a little more work. Would it be possible to simply copy the sections that I want to alter from k_inc_force.nss to another file, make my edits and compile that much shorter script? Would I need to include any header info or a referrer to the original k_sp1_generic.ncs? I know that I would need to alter spells.2da to point to the new spells script for each force power that I alter (that would be the more work).

Thanks everyone in advance for any help you can provide in trying to solve this.

Help me, Obi-Code Kenobi. You're my only hope!

[Edit]

Well, If I had only waited about 5 mins... Quite literally after I made this post I found my solution. It was buried further down in the forum post from which I got the alternate idea. It seems I needed to extract k_inc_debug.nss and k_sp1_generic.nss to the same folder as k_inc_force.nss. Make my edits to k_inc_force.nss then compile k_sp1_generic.nss. So I was missing two other source files and I was trying to compile the wrong script. Now I feel a little silly. Once I've done a bit of testing I may post the altered script for others to use if there is interest.

Thanks again.

Archived