Home

Where is the REAL secret gone????

I was HORRIFIED when I played the demo! When I arrived at the ship harbour in EMI demo...why was the Grog machine not a secret??? The whole piont of SOMI was the fact that the whole Pirate world was Guybrush's imagination and real world things would invade his world! (Such as the coke/grog machine...there are many many more in the first two games if you look for them)

Monkey Island was never the same again once Lucasarts decided to ignore Gilberts "Secret"! The change of the grog machine was the last straw!!! AAAArrrgghhhh!!!!

A plea to Ron Gilbert...please write the next MI!!

Thanks Murray18! Once I realised the real secret of monkey island...playing the games again (1 and 2) was like playing all new Monkey Island!! (Trying to spot all the secrets!)

I figured out the real secret when a friend of mine was told the legend "Ron Gilbert" said the real secret of monkey island was similar to "Calvin and Hobbes" and "Pirates of the carribean" ride at disney land...If you've read and understood any "Calvin and Hobbes" you'll know exactly what he means!!! Yeah!!!

I am just sad he didn't get a chance to write the third and final part...we can only imagine!!!

• 1 month later...

I think the original secret was that the whole first two games were just figments of a boy Guybrush's imagination - at the end of LCR, Guybrush is transported to the Carnival of the Damned, where we see him as a kid, and fighting with his older brother (Chuckie or something, obviously meant to be LeChuck) - forgive me if I'm vague or even wrong, but it's been years since I played it :p

Anyway, I think the implication was that the whole set of adventures had just been the young Guybrush dreaming of being a pirate, so the secret of Monkey Island was that there WAS no Monkey Island, Guybrush wasn't even a pirate in real life. It makes a twisted kind of sense I guess, explains why Guybrush is so naive and inept, and explains the rivalry between Guybrush and LeChuck (i.e. sibling rivalry).

Some people thought this was a brilliant ending to the series, and if you think that, I can see why you'd think both CMI and EMI were bad ideas.

Personally, I thought the LCR ending was a huge cop-out, very disappointing - it's like the "Oh thank God, it was all just a dream" explanations you see on Sunset Beach or Days of our Lives. That's why I personally don't think the last 2 games "destroyed the Moneky Island legacy" or anything like that - I enjoyed them both immensely, and think they're worthy additions to the series.

Anyhow, I'm sure LucasArts et al can continue to think up new secrets of Monkey Island for as long as the franchise is profitable [/cynicism]

Originally posted by Cadaver:

I think the original secret was that the whole first two games were just figments

I like this better... even if... well, you know... I hoped it was something more wink.gif

But it's definitely better than the monkey robot!!!

By the way, in the first chapter, when you enter the mouth of the monkey, you end up in the caves... not inside a robot! But probably LEC thought that they could fix that by making guybrush say "Oh, there's a secret p***age!"... uhm...

------------------

This is my friend Picol. He always says only what he thinks, this is way he never speaks.

-[masatomo ueda 2000]-

Ok, so you have a problem with where the monkey head leads.... like a different place in different games...

But you DON'T have a problem with the fact that there's a fricken HUGE monkey head in the middle of an island, with no logical explaination of how it got there?

Is it because its only the second biggest monkey head you've ever seen?

If you're gonna nitpick, why don't you mention the fact that all the greenery on monkey island grew back over fair quickly... considering there was an amusement park there not long before hand. biggrin.gif

------------------

Rage. What better time than now?

Ah but if SOMI revealed that it was all Guybrushs imagination how come Ron Gilbert made a sequel? And how come EFMI isn't just a contuination of his vivid imagination?

Anyway, I thought the end of MI2 was just a voodoo curse, which is why 'Chuckie' looked at the screen and did the scary evil face thing (or was that too long ago for you to remember?)

"FLATULENCE!"

Guest Guybrush112

Not only did 'Chuckie ' look scary but Elaine said, "Gee I hope Guybrush hasn't been CURSED or anything" also, the monkey robot is NOT the real secret of monkey island! If you think hard and play the game over and over you will see that it is not the secret. It's a joke, in fact.

------------------

"Mortal fool! Release me from this retched tomb! I will hide your keysin your upholstered furniture! And never more will you be able to find socks that match!"

The secret of Monkey Island is a theoretical thing. It's meant to look like it could be anything, Big Whoop, Monkey Robot etc.. It compells people to buy the next game to see if they find out the scret at last.

There's no such thing as the secret of Mnkey Island, there are The Secret*S* of Monkey Island.

Listen Foolish Mortals! THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND IS *NOT* THAT THE MONKEY ISLAND UNIVERSE IS A DREAM!

*Ahem* As has already been mentioned, the ending of Monkey Island 2, Guybrush is cursed and made to believe that his past adventures were part of some make-believe game. The elements such as the Grog/Coke machine are to make the game *FUNNY* and in no way reveal the true secret of Monkey Island. However, I myself do have a guess at the Secret of Monkey Island... and here it is...

There is no secret.

- But what about Big Whoop, the Three-Headed Monkey, and/or The Big Honking Monkey Robot?

Oh *THOSE*. Well you really can't call them secrets now, can you?

- Huh?

Well everyone knows about them now, don't they?

- Well I guess...

See, there you go. Since they're not secrets anymore, there is *NO* Secret of Monkey Island. And what has this taught you...

- Never to spend, $39.99 on a computer game...

Tsk, Tsk, BAD MONKEY!!! *Whack!* Besides, that was more or less a direct steal from an answer to the first Monkey Island game!

Bob Shrimp

I agree that the Monkey Island's secret is still to be uncovered, or that there may not even be a secret.

Remember the end of Curse of Monkey Island when Guybrush goes over the backstory. Guybrush asks LeChuck "What IS the secret of Monkey Island?" LeChuck mumbles something and Guybrush responds "You don't know, do you?!" "Er... not really, no!"

This leads me to believe that the secret has not been discovered in MIs 1 - 3, thus Big Whoop cannot be the secret. I don't think it's the Robot either, because in the original game LeChuck set off to discover the secret in order to gain Elaine's trust. Therefore the robot would have been discovered when LeChuck set up the underground caverns, or when building the amusement park.

The way I see it, the fact that the secret is still unknown continues to make it another of the running gags, and I hope it continues to be a mystery. If LucasArts revealed the secret, I think it'll ruin the series, unless they reveal it in a 'last ever' MI game (and we don't want that, do we?).

------------------

A pirate I was meant to be,

Trim the sails and roam the sea!

Sorry to be nitpicky, but LeChuck went off to learn the secret of Monkey Island to impress Elaine, not to gain her trust. As far as the actual secret goes, I suspect that Ron never actually came up with an actual secret to begin with.

I mean, MI2 in no way relates to the Secret of Monkey Island in any way, and only through the reconstructive history of Monkey Island 3 does MI2's plot make any sense to the whole Monkey Island framework. Really, for now my secret is about as close to the REAL SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND, as you're going to get. At least until somebody at Lucasarts comes up with a better one.

------------------

You: What is the Secret of Monkey Island?

Me: The secret is, is that there is no secret.

You: Huh? But what about Big Whoop, the Three-Headed Monkey, and/or The Big Honking Monkey Robot?

Me: Oh *THOSE*. Well you really can't call them secrets now, can you?

You: Huh?

Me: Well everyone knows about them now, don't they?

You: Well I guess...

Me: See, there you go. Since they're not secrets anymore, there is *NO* Secret of Monkey Island. So what has this taught you?

You: Never to spend, $39.99 on a computer game.

Me: Tsk, Tsk, BAD MONKEY!!! *Whack!* Besides, that was more or less a direct steal from an answer to the first Monkey Island game!

Well, I don`t think it the secret is that it is all Guybrush` imagination, because of several things.

1: The head thing that LeChuck did in the ending of mi2

2: Elaine talking about the curse in mi2.

3:And Guybrush sailing into poerto pollo in a

carneval car

And it isn`t Big Whoop that is the secret either, it lies on Dinky Island!

the secret is....there just to make u think there is a secret, its like subliminal, can be whatever "you" want it to be.

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

I have a theory about ants. I figure that if I step on every ant I see, then eventually by natural selection the ants will evolve to avoid me. It may take a few million years, but I'm patient.

I have a similar theory about voting against the presidential candidates who equally annoy me, but they evolve even more slowly.

The secret of monkey island is how a game this terrible can have 3 sequels and be a commercial success! smile.gif Just kidding of course, its not really a commercial success wink.gif, seriously though, i think its a great series of games.

Now that i think of it, not that many people outside of diehard fans have heard of it, and certainly not people who dont play adventure games. I dont know, do you people know a lot of video gamers who have or havent heard of the monkey island series?

------------------

Hey, it's timmy the monkey....how did he get here?

Originally posted by Masatomo:

By the way, in the first chapter, when you enter the mouth of the monkey, you end up in the caves... not inside a robot! But probably LEC thought that they could fix that by making guybrush say "Oh, there's a secret p***age!"... uhm...

If you say "What happened to the caverns of heck under the Monkey Head?" to Herman Toothrot(after you hit him with the milk bottle), he'll say that the caverns mysterisouly sealed up after Guybrush left in the first game. "Good thing too. We were losing a lot of monkeys down there."

------------------

How do I get off this #&$*@'n island?!!

-Guybrush Marley-Threepwood

Herman also mentions that the caverns were made entirely of MEAT! (Or at least something to that effect...) So what I'm guessing is that according to MI4's interpretation, the caverns were a creation of LeChuck to keep away would-be visitors, but we're not originally part of the Monkey Head design specs.

Bob Shrimp

- Evil Cursed Rotting Meat Caves? It's what's for dinner!

Archived