Home

What the *biip* is wrong with 3D?

StarEye

I've seen some arguments why 3D is bad and 2D is good, and for some strange reason some seems to think 3D=keyboard, 2D=mouse. That is, however not correct, most of you know that. I for one, however do not see a problem in having a Monkey Island game in 3D. I can see EMI easily played with a mouse, can't you?

For those who have played "The Longest Journey" (eller "Den Lengste Reisen" for oss nordmenn), probably know exactly what I am talking about. That game was 3D. The view was pretty much like EMI. No problems at all with the interface. Quite good actually... one of the best.

And remember: Do Not Compare To Stupid Invaders - that was a BAD executed game (although quite funny, in a sick way).

Conclusion = what the hell is wrong with having a 3D Monkey Island game, if you only control with a mouse? I see no need to return to 2D if you get the same quality as The Longest Journey or EMI. But a mouse IS and will always be ESSENTIAL.

What do you think?

StarEye echoes my conclusion from the beginnings of the 2D/3D argument...and stated nicely.

My only gripe with the introduction of 3D to Monkey Island was that the game-play was shortened to accomodate the extra coding.

I have played The Longest Journey, and it was aptly named...it took a long time...literally hundreds of puzzles. It was 4 CDs long. If only they had delayed EFMI a little longer, to provide more complexity to it's puzzles...and made it 4 CDs...ah well.

There is hope that this will be mitigated in the next game's release.

[This message has been edited by raVen_image (edited July 08, 2001).]

Originally posted by StarEye:

I've seen some arguments why 3D is bad and 2D is good, and for some strange reason some seems to think 3D=keyboard, 2D=mouse. That is, however not correct, most of you know that. I for one, however do not see a problem in having a Monkey Island game in 3D. I can see EMI easily played with a mouse, can't you?

For those who have played "The Longest Journey" (eller "Den Lengste Reisen" for oss nordmenn), probably know exactly what I am talking about. That game was 3D. The view was pretty much like EMI. No problems at all with the interface. Quite good actually... one of the best.

And remember: Do Not Compare To Stupid Invaders - that was a BAD executed game (although quite funny, in a sick way).

Conclusion = what the hell is wrong with having a 3D Monkey Island game, if you only control with a mouse? I see no need to return to 2D if you get the same quality as The Longest Journey or EMI. But a mouse IS and will always be ESSENTIAL.

What do you think?

I totally agree. I really don't care if MI5 should be in 3D or 2D. But LEC wont go back to 2D again, so as long as it's better then EMI it's okay for me...

------------------

stork.gif

"the storks are listening"

I remember reading an interview with Roberta Williams years ago where she stated that gamers had a hissy fit when the King's Quest series started using the point and click interface instead of having to type in the commands with a keyboard. As for Stupid Invaders. I have it for Dreamcast, really funny game, but I beat it in 11 hours. What's up with that? There was only one puzzle in the game that stumped me.

Guest Guybrush112

heh, i remembered a review of 'Stupid Invaders' the head title was: "Monkey Island on some wierd Alien Crack" lol wink.gif

------------------

screen2l.gif

Ahhh, a classic scene!

Archived