Home

Puzzle #5

Here's puzzle #5! After running errands all morning you return home, with a list of what you bought, and how much you had left. You're pretty sure you started out with $10 at the beginning of the day, and by the time you returned home you had nothing. You kept a list of what you bought and spent. But when you check your list, it doesn't match up! Your list is as follows:

---------------------Paid---------Left Over

Butchery---------$4.00---------$6.00

Grocery Store---$2.50---------$3.50

Pharmacy--------$2.00---------$1.50

Post Office-------$1.50---------$0.00

Column Totals--$10.00-------$11.00

Where did the other dollar go?

Guest DaRk_EwoK

It didnt go anywhere... the left over column has nothing to do with the money you used, it could also had been:

paid-----left over

$1.00 $9.00

$2.00 $7.00

$7.00 $0.00

TOTAL

$10.00 $16.00 :eek:

I think that explains it... ;)

Guest Supreme Warlord

That puzzle is pretty funny to me because when I subract 10.00 that you gave me to start with from the first column the sum out out zero. Now for the Second column that when the puzzle gets interesting. It somehow adds up to 11.00 dollars. Now if I remember in my accounting class, everything has to be equal in order to be right so I am looking at this and well I AM STUMPED! Now The only thing or two that I can say is that it is either taxes or it didnt go anywhere...I doubt those are the anwsers... Tell us Thrawn I wont get a good night sleep if i dont know the answers... :)

Guest Supreme Warlord

That what I wanted to say too Jackal so that is taxes hehehe oh man i forgot about my taxes return shoot! *runs off for the forms to get my taxes return*

I'd go with the tax idea but it had already been used so I came up with what I'm pretty sure is the correct answer:

You walk out the door with 11 dollars, you pay a total of 10 dollars for various store items, and you return home with one dollar.

EDIT: Damn, overlooked this:

You're pretty sure you started out with $10 at the beginning of the day

Still, am I right?

Otherwise, there may be some unknown factor (such as the cashier giving you one dollar too many back at some store? Now, is that right?)

I say it again. It's a math flaw!

There is no correct answear. You can make it be whatever you want but that wont be the answear.

It is not tax because the goverment did not pick any dollar (whatever goes in and out is on paper and they dont have that one dollar on paper).

You dont walk out with 1$ because you dont have that 1 extra $ to proove it.

Not the clerck who did a mistake because there is no mistake.

it's a flaw in mathematics! :D

Guest Supreme Warlord

Listen to Jackal he is right. It has to be a Math Flaw... THere is no answer for this. I would have thought of it :D j/k

Archived