Home

Jedi Outcast voiceover and soundtrack Petition

Lord_FinnSon

When this petition was originally posted in late August, some people thought it was too early, because it discussed about aspect that comes much later in a game development, sound. Now, when JK2 is two - three monts from possible completion, people at Raven might have answers to these questions: is Jason Court doing voiceover for Kyle, and shall we hear Angela Harry again as Jan Ors? Another side of the petition, music was partially brought up in a recent chat where JK2 developers confirmed that

The game score will be primarily John Williams music. Some additionally composition music may be required for specific situations in the game, but this will also be based on the John Williams music.
Still there are no indication, if they are also gonna use some of the original (midi) themes that was composed for Dark Forces(I doubt it), but hearing that
The soundtrack is able to follow the pace of the game through explorations and actions to respond to what is going on in gameplay
indicates that everything seems to be going well in this part of the game. :D

I have those four soundtracks(Special edition soundtracks of original trilogy and The Ultimate Edition TPM soundtrack). The whole point in this petition's music side was that LEC\Raven would make "fresh" edits of familiar music that John Williams originally composed(like other soundtrack owners know, there are a lot of unused and alternative cues that didn't end up in the movies or even to soundtracks in some cases) and perhaps even composed new themes especially for JK2 or used some of those older, nostalgic themes from DK(of course rescored with symphony orchestra to match with actual music from the movies). Possible use of good old iMuse music system came to my mind only after I had posted petition(otherwise I would have listed it as part of the wanted features for JK2), but hearing that Raven is going to use dynamic music(I guess using their own music system) makes me happy. Mixed tracks in JK and MotS(mostly same ones in both) were getting too repetitive anyway; interactive music makes much more justice for John Williams' themes and the way they were originally composed. ;) Oh, and yes, Jason Court was the man that played Kyle in JK(Nick Jameson in Dark Forces and Rino Romano in MotS). I also have a feeling that Raven might use Rino again(and perhaps it makes sense after MotS), but hopefully they will get at least Angela Harry back. :D

• 4 weeks later...
A really cool feature that turned out extremely well is the dynamic music system. We collaborated with LucasArts to enhance and improve upon the simple two channel system we were using. The new system supports multiple entry and exit points within each music piece to create seamless transitions from the Explore to the Action pieces as it responds to your actions and play style within the game.

As you can see Jedi Knotes #4 talks partially about dynamic music, but doesn't reveal anything new about it. Still, hearing that Raven worked with LEC on this sound issue is nice, expecially because LEC's own iMuse is fine example of interactive music system that has evolved in the course of years and is still used(most recently in Monkey Island 4) time to time. Their skills will not be forgotten! :guybrush: Hmmm... Still, nothing new about possible actors; shall we get some kind of confirmation after Raven have posted complete list of characters?

After surfing around in the net for possible midi files from Dark Forces, I found two good examples. First of them is main title of DF(even though file itself denies it) and other some sort of variation of first. I don't know about you, but I would like to hear that main title(a.k.a. Kyle's theme) played somewhere during JK2. It doesn't have to be entirely there, because it would differ too much from John Williams' music, but only as a short reminder of Kyle's mercenary past. Now, imagine that, if it was recomposed and recorded with symphony orchestra. ;)

You might be right, StephenG. I would have only wanted to get some kind of confirmation about actors providing voices(like they did with SOF 2) and much more detailed report about music. I guess we just have to wait and see(or hear), but this doesn't mean I would be totally dissapointed if I didn't get what I wanted to see; a lot of people, for example, would have also wanted to hear Mark Hamill providing voice for Luke. I let this petition to be open a little bit longer and then inform Petitiononline to close it, before JK2 goes Gold. BTW, I think it's ironical that also Raven's own Kenn Hoekstra wrote petition where he asks for Thundarr The Barbarian to be published on DVD and he used exactly same site for it; I personally wouldn't have never come up an idea to wrote this, if they didn't originally make that "Bring Obi-Wan back to the PC Petition". ;) You might also wanna check out most recent Jedi Knight Petition that tries to get original JK to be ported to the MAC. :D

Just when I thought all "hope" was gone, latest FAQ - Update reveals something new about music:

The game score will be composed primarily of existing music pieces from John Williams' vast Star Wars music library. Some additional pieces of music were required for specific game situations and that music was inspired by John Williams' music and arranged by Clint Bajakian.

Really nice to hear that Clint is back. I think LEC/Raven did a right choice when they chose him for this job, because he already has excellent knowledge about interactive(dynamic) music after working so many years with LEC's own iMuse music system AND he surely knows what kind of additional music they will need after games like Tie Fighter AND original Dark Forces(he also composed music for MI2 & 4, Infernal Machine, Outlaws, etc.). So... there might still be a slight chance we can hear variations of Kyle's theme again. :D

Jedi Knotes #5 is a little bit more specific when talking about audio part of JK2:

One of the first things you will notice is the high fidelity of the voice, music and sound in the game. Higher data rates and MP3 technology allowed us to approach a film-quality soundtrack for this title.

I find this interesting, because it practically means all sound files will be compressed into MP3 format and makes them therefore playable also outside game. Of course this is nothing new in game industry these days, but I don't remember seeing MP3 files in any other LEC games(was it developed in-house or not) before, and I want to listen carefully those music files with new mixes. ;)

Refreshingly, many musical themes and sections are included that have had seldom, if any treatment in previous Star Wars games.

This is good to hear as a fan of John Williams, because we will hear much more diverse compilation of SW music. Hopefully this also means that Clint will include a lot more alternative themes than ever before: one of these would be original version of Duel of the Fates which was recorded for TPM, but Lucas ended up to use concert suite instead, and another would be short, operatic choir cue heard during final duel between Luke and Vader(named as Dark Side Beckons in Special Edition RotJ soundtrack). Especially the latter one has been used very rarely and would definitely belong up there with DotF; I'm sure that Clint can do nice transitions between these do. :D

<font color=cbcbff> It would indeed be perfect to see Jason Court and Angela Harry as Jan Ors. If they could bring back some of the music from the first game(Dark Forces) and then get their voices, it would serve to bring the first two together more and make the second one a much truer sequel.

Archived