Home

Sith - just what does it mean?

Guest Kudar

I wonder, somewhere I take it there will be a meaning, some of you guys probably already know. Without spending ages looking for it I thought I'd ask here, and tell you why I wanted to know.

The other day it occured to me, as I was drinking my coffee out of my Jedi vs Sith mug that I'd seen the word Sith somewhere other than star wars, and guess where? On my parents house!!!!

:eek:

The house is called

Eilean Sith

Which is gaelic and pronunced

ay linn she

and it means ; Island of (Eilean) PEACE (Sith) - a little weird I thought!! maybe just coincidence, but I'd be happy to see what the Star Wars universe meaning of the word Sith is.

Guest Rogue15

sith (sth)

conj. Archaic

Since.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English sithe, from Old English siththa, variant of siththan. See since.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sith adv. & prep.

Pronunciation Key

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

sith \Sith\, prep., adv., & conj. [see Since.] Since; afterwards; seeing that. [Obs.]

We need not fear them, sith Christ is with us. --Latimer.

Sith thou art rightful judge. --Chaucer.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

sith \Sith\, Sithe \Sithe\, n. [AS. ??? a path, way, time, occasion.] Time. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

And humbly thanked him a thousand sithes. --Spenser.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

heh, i didn't know Christ was a sith.

Guest Tie Guy
Originally posted by Kud'ar Mub'at

but I'd be happy to see what the Star Wars universe meaning of the word Sith is.

I don't think that the word "Sith" has any particular meaning in Star Wars. The Sith were a race of people, whom were taken over by the Dark Jedi. Thats how they got the term Sith, and "Darth" comes from Dark Lord of the Sith.

Archived