Home

White problems

theraven

Could someone please tell me why when I try to play EFMI most of the screen turns white? I know my computer is able to handle the game (I checked) and I'm almost going out of my mind trying to fix it. If you know what is wrong or how to fix it I would appreciate someone telling me.

TheRaven

You haven't got an S3 Virge have you? This happened to me too.

The solution is to install the patch and select whatever you're REALLY using as a 3D accelerator as your video card. The default installation just can't cope with the ridiculous situation of someone having two graphics cards...

If that doesn't work, try switching to OpenGL mode as well.

Thank you for your reply, but I'm afraid we have no idea what you are talking about. For example: what do you mean by "the patch"? We went to the Lucasarts site and there were many, many, different patches for EFMI. Which is the right one? We also have no idea what kind of video card we have and don't know how to find out. Thanks for any help in advance.

TheRaven

*Note: I have windows 98, this might be different for other Operating Systems.

------->

You might be able to find out what kind of video card you have by doing this:

1. Click start, settings, Control Panel

2. Double-click the 'system' icon

a. There should be 4 tabs here, under the 'general' tab there should be information about some parts of your computer. (Nothing about video card however)

3. To find out your video card, click the 'device manager' tab

4. Make sure 'view devices by type' is checked

5. Scroll down the list of catagories, and double click 'display adapter' (You can also click the plus sign once to do this)

6. Now the name of your video card should appear underneith 'display adapter' (if your computer is like mine)

If you want to know more about your video card, you may be able to double click the name of your video card when it appears.

------->

I downloaded the update from Lucas Arts, and there was only one for monkey island 4. Here is a link that may help you.

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/monkey-4.htm

------->

I had a graphical problem with Monkey island as well. I was able to solve it by reading the "trouble shooting guide" which can be accesed through the help button located on the monkey Island startup menu. (the menu that pops up when you put the CD in)

My problem was that I had the wrong video drivers. There is a list of drivers that are compatible with monkey island in the troubleshooting guide. But first I recommend installing the update as Huz said.

We're back again. We found the video card, downloaded the update, and reinstalled EFMI. When we tried to enable the patch we got this message fom the LucasArts Update Installer : 'Directory is invalid. The target files could not be created.'

Any ideas ? Thanks for all the help so far!

TheRaven

Originally posted by theraven

We're back again. We found the video card, downloaded the update, and reinstalled EFMI. When we tried to enable the patch we got this message fom the LucasArts Update Installer : 'Directory is invalid. The target files could not be created.'

Any ideas ? Thanks for all the help so far!

TheRaven

You have reinstalled EMI in a different location.

Download the patch again. :)

How did you remove the game? Did you use the Uninstall Option from the EMI Menu or did you use the Remove in the Control Panel?

The correct way is from the Menu. Uninstall again and don't save the games when asked. Reinstall EMI (try full installation) and then the patch again.

Archived