Home

Ease of Multiplayer Online?

Lord Slart

The only game I've played online so far is C&C RA2 and YURI and I played a lot of them. But I have never played a FPS online before and was wondering if anyone out there with the knowledge could tell me how it works and if there will be anything different or specific to JK2.

I played Elite Forces quite a lot but never went online to play it as I was unsure how to do it. I've also played a bit of Q3 and some other FPS's but never online. I will have to play JK2 online so I better start to get some good info on it.

Any info would be great. I'm really getting excited for JK2 now and can't wait for March to come. :confused:

Make sure you have a fast connection, FPS don't go well with lag. I used to play counter strike and its no fun walking along with no enemies in sight and then all of a sudden your dead because your slow connection didn't let you know there was a terrorist with an auto-shotgun walking around the corner. It was okay, but the lag got very annoying at times. If only there were cable modems in my town...

Zone wasn't that hard once you got used to it. It was a matter of avoiding all the hacks in JK1.

More than likely, you'll be able to setup dedicated servers. I truly think this is the only way, as any 56Ker could start a game on zone and everyone would lag to shreds because of how the Q3 netcode works. Dedicated servers will more than likely be the solution to MP games.. though Raven may surprise me. Playing on a listen server with 12 people or more isn't fun :(

There is an in-game browser. Don't ask me where I read that, but there is.

So it's all really simple. (hopefully) A lot of people will set up dedicated servers. This means they let their computer run 24-7 while hosting a Jedi Outcast game.

You fire up your Jedi Outcast copy, go to the in-game server browser, pick the game with the best ping (=less lag) and there you go, you're playing online!

You'll be able to see in the server browser what type of multiplayer game the server hosts, how many players there are and all that good stuff.

Sounds Cool to me. You will definately see me there once Ive had enough practice and I have the game and I am not being nagged constantly by the GF and my cable provider isn't playing up and ....... oH WELL WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES.

Thanks for the info though guys. It doesn't seem so intimidating anymore. Ohhhh scared of big server with lots of Good playes on. I want my mummy!!!!!!!!

Archived