Home

Geo Mod Egnine

MarcusZ

Geo-mod engines are engines that allow the terrain to be deformed by use of weapons and other means. For example, if you shoot a pillar, it will come crumbling down and the level above may come down as well. I've only played one game with a geo-mod engine...and I forget the name at the time...but you were a miner during some type of miner revolution and you had to dig through the walls of the mine with your weapons to kill more enemies.

That game was pretty lame because I imagine if you use a geo-mod engine, it is very hard to implement paths or have the player find those paths. As we know, paths are critical to the story. So, I think it's a cool effect that really doesn't help the story of a game because in order for your story to work, players are gonna get really confused and frustrated, or the game will be unrealistic.

That's my experience anyways.

Swoosh

Sounds like the game your talking about is Red Faction. I've got it for the PS2 and it's actually a very fun game where the Geo-mod is implemented really well. It's not so much you can create tunnels, you can, but the really cool part is blasting through a wall into another room and getting the drop on some guards.

Yeah, Geo-Mod would be great, if the developers actually took the time to ensure that it works well with the game, and that it has a purpose. This was not the case with Red Faction. The Geo-Mod just felt bolted on as a little side bonus, when it could have been used to pull off some incredible experiences. Not good, in my opinion.

Volition needs to do a Freespace 3 instead of a Red Faction 2. =)

Archived