Home

Multiplayer Console Commands and Campers?

Saient

After watching the teaser trailer and after viewing screenshots I hope that there's gonna be lots of cool tricks you can do with console commands in JKII for Multiplayer ofcourse the most obvious ones should be included such as the cg_fov 110 or 120 (Quake III command) should be implementable giving the viewer a better Field of View when in 1st Person mode. and 3rd Person mode is going to bring a bad element. People using it for lameness such as CAMPING around a corner waiting to slash those comming round. I know that people are gonna start doing this in multiplayer and there is no way of avoiding it. It's not as bad as team killing but I hope there is "kick vote" implemented for CAMPERS that use this to their advantage. (The Quake3 3rd Person console command was cheat protected for that reason)

but we MUST have a 3rd person view to see our sabers!!!

sigh there is nothing we can do about it unfornatley unless there is a passive force detect lame ass CAMPER power which indicates somehow and gives you the heads up.

another cool one to play with would be the cg_truelightning command (also from Quake3) which would turn the Chain Lightning into a focus beam which would be great in my opinion if only there were 2 lightning attacks then we could reap the benifits from both.

*side not/question * Where are all these SithLords/Dark Jedi comming from.. I thought there could only be 2??"

Gimmie your thoughts on CAMPERS

we dont know how much mana and how will exactly seeing work, if you can keep it on most of the time as in JK you could give a good surprise to campers standing in the corners

the fov command is not limited to 120 (I guess you know anyway)

have you tried with really high or low values? something close to 360º? or less than 90º? everything looks really really weird

Yeah the highest you can go is 250

I hope your right about force seeing but I didn't really use it that much in the original JK except to prevent myself from being blinded I usually played the role of a Gunner because I thought the saber fighting in JK was kinda lame and Saberist people usually didn't stand much of a chance, but the force Combo's with guns were awesome

However from what I've seen so far I think Im actually really going to dig using the saber in JO I mean who wouldn't.. thanks for the replay BTW

Number one reason why server admins will disable the Call Vote function. What you perceve to be lame camping could also be concidered great defense by others. Who is right? I dunno. But instead of reaching for that Kick option, how about letting the person know with comments like "great spot to pitch the tent" and just hope they get it. I can think of much greater reasons to kick someone then camping.

Camping IS cheap! Why do you like it? I find a game much more enjoyable when you can dash into a room and lay waste to it and come out without a scratch.. Thats the skill levels we're all looking for right?

I hope Raven does think about the Camping thing but as for LEC I don't think they do much on the game except play it and nod and say "wow thank you Raven **Kiss Kiss** we could never have done better"

LOL

just kidding

nah Lucasarts is alright

Darth Bob your absolutly right I never vote for kicking anyway I'm just saying it should be discouraged and up to a mass vote. Personally I find it useful to learn how to play against campers but if it was an all out team game or FFA war it would be better without them.

hmmmm from my 1st post condemming campers the 1st few replies have been from people in favour of camping. Anyone reading this post give your personal opinions on it and we might eventually be able to draw an idea of how this game is going to be played Multi-Player.. if everyone is in favor of camping then that will end up like gameplay which would be a polor opposite of run em and gun em type games. Which could be either Refreshing for some and a nightmare for others

post post post

I'm with Silent_One on this - epspecially here:

Posted by Silent_One

There are people who don't perfer to run into a room, guns blazing to obliderate everything in site. Some people (like me), are more cautious. Their idea of survival is picking and choosing their battles.

I couldn't agree with you more :)

i hate campers

define campers:

People who sit in the same lame spot for MINUTES on end

Im not talking about people who take it slowly and ambush if they know someones coming but i mean people who will sit in the same spot for a WHOLE GAME

*this is from my rogue spear experiences*

It's ok being cautious. But sitting in one spot for a few minutes is LAME. OF course that point of view varies in different games

Take a fast paced action game like Quake 3 or Counter-strike. Camping in those kinds of game can be extremely annoying, your not utilizing any skill at all. These games are designed to be played at high speeds, so when you just sit there waiting for an unsuspecting victim to walk buy it takes away from what makes the game fun. Camping in these games does not really help your team much. (my defintion of camping is sitting static for a few minutes in one spot). So i see campers as non team players, they would rather keep themselves alives rather than helping the team, in these kinds of games.

Camping in a slightly more strategical game like Day Of Defeat can be justified. Holding postions, flags etc while backup arrives is VITAL to your teams success. Same goes for something like Ghost Recon. Those maps are pretty big, so you definitely have to be cautious. Moving around slowly, frequently stopping to survey the area is a logical strategy.

So as you can see the issue on camping differs from game to game.

I forsee Jedi Knight 2 will be a fast paced game with high speed action. Similar to the first game. So campers who decide to sit in one spot for minutes at a time will decrease the enjoyment of th game (and make easy targets of themselves).

Camping is a valid tactic, though it is annoying. Campers will have the 3rd person view, but so will you, you'll be able to see around corners just as well as they can. Plus after you've played multiplayer for awhile, you'll know which spots are common for campers. So if you know of spots where there is likely to be people waiting for someone to walk by, you can ambush them.

Camping usually takes place in close quarters, the Saber is most useful at close quarters. So the Lightsaber should be a good counter to gunners camping. As for saberists camping, the glow and sound usually give them away. If they have their saber hilt out but not lit, then the suprise they have over you will not give them an advantage since by the time their saber is lit, you will know where they are.

I don't think campers will be much of a problem.

What's really annoying is when you're moving around carefully and hear someone trudging down a hallway making all kinds of noise, so you set up an ambush just before they get to a door, and they accuse you of camping. I personally can't stand camping myself, though I don't really mind when other people do it. I do, however, move around carefully, as Silent_One said.

Plus, there's always the option of Force Gripping the camping players and choking the life out of them, then of course throwing them across the room. I can't wait for campers :D

I don't like campers, but I read a thread for pro-camping one time, what really stuck with me was this..... "Does camping occur in real war?, if you answered yes then don't complain." I know this is just a game but there is some logic in that statement.:jawa

Hopefully Raven will include some MP maps that are camp friendly and non-camp friendly, so people can choose.

Archived