Home

Will a Voodoo 5 5500 video card support JO

lukesky518

Yes, it will work. Voodoo 3s and up are 100% OpenGL compliant, although the Voodoo 5 5500 is the only one that will run JK2 moderatly well with medium detail, IF you have a really good CPU and RAM.

Just because some cards aren't listed on LEC's supported cards list, doesn't mean they won't work. They just test the most common cards, and they can garuntee that those will work. Video cards coming out in two years will work, and ones from two years ago will work too, they just can't test every single card on the market and provide support for it.

Agreed. The Geforce 4 Ti460 is tops. Apparently the Radeon 8500 is no sloutch though. If you want a bargain option, look for a Geforce 3 Ti200, they're going pretty cheap now. Don't be fooled by those Geforce 4 MX cards though.

yeah im pretty sure it works on voodoo 5500... i mean quake 3 and quake 3 team arena demo work on my voodoo banshee, which is much worse than voodoo 5500... im getting Hercules Radeon 8500 LE for this and other new games though (Hercules Radeon 8500 is VERY cheap in finland)

(Hercules Radeon 8500 is VERY cheap in finland)

I presume you are from Finland as well, reserved_name. ;) Have you seen Radeon 8500 with 128 MB anywhere(I thought buying that or XT when it comes out)? I would like to welcome you to the community! "Nautihan olostas", as we say in here Turku. :D

hehe thanks for the welcome Lord_Finnson and yeah i am from Suomesta... but no i havent seen 128 mb radeon 8500 anywhere in finland... i use http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/etusivu.asp to search for new products and best prices on them, and it doesnt have 128 mb radeons yet... i am also beginning to wonder when the Hercules 3d prophet 8500 LE that i ordered is gonna arrive.. first the online shops said its coming 6.3., then 14.3., then 16.3., then 20.3. and now the date is 27.3..... assuming this is the correct date, it would hopefully be just in time for Jedi Knight 2

Just so you all know, JO uses a MODIFIED Q3 engine, so merely d/l-ing the Q3 demo to test isn't that good of an indicator of how good the game will perform. In fact, I reccommend getting the Elite Force MP demo. It's only 30 megs, and it's actually pretty fun.

I read an article somewhere (maybe Tom's hardware, can't say for sure) that said the cards with 128 megs of RAM aren't worth it. For the life of me I can't remember why that is, but that's what it said. And if I were you I'd go for the Radeon 8500 because of the price and features. I saw some benchmarks that had it beating out the Geforce3 Ti-500 in every test, and the gap got bigger at the higher resolutions. You can see the whole article here... http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q4/011107/

-Noodly

Just so you all know, JO uses a MODIFIED Q3 engine, so merely d/l-ing the Q3 demo to test isn't that good of an indicator of how good the game will perform. In fact, I reccommend getting the Elite Force MP demo. It's only 30 megs, and it's actually pretty fun.

Actully it uses a heavy modified Q3 Team Arena engine! So getting an elite force demo is not all that bad to see if it works but I would try TA because it has the bigger worlds and such.

Archived