Home

PCI or AGP 4 Compaq

Saber_Trails

Help me please I have a compaq p3 700mhz computer with an onboard card, I dont know if i have pci or agp slots. My friend came over and tried to put a AGP card in the slot and then said I have PCI, and then this compaq tech support guy emailed me and said i have intergrated AGP and all this other stuff, so how do i figure out what i really have, install the video card and make it work?

Your onboard video is most likely an AGP video card...meaning it uses the AGP bus to transfer the info and what not. That doesn't mean it has to have an AGP slot, cause those cost money. On cheap computers like Compaq's they will elect not to put an AGP slot in the computer to bring the price down a few bucks...so it sounds like your friend is right, you need an AGP video card. Get a Radeon PCI or a GeForce2 MX...anything will be better than you current onboard graphics!

Well I disabled onboard video and now Im looking at everything in 640x480 with 12 colors. I wanna figure out how I can get my video card in the comp and make it work. I cant seem to do anything once the Radeon is in the computer. I know it isnt a bad card cuz i exchanged it twice now so Its the computer or the monitor or something. Anyone know what I should do?

If you're sure you have the onboard video disabled (either in the CMOS or with jumpers) and the Radeon is not working, it's possible that it's not compatible with your Compaq. Are you getting the 640x480x16 with the Radeon installed? That symptom is almost always related to a bad driver install? Have you installed the ATI drivers for the card? Provide some more "hard" details of what you've done and what's going on.

Putting a "real" video card in a system like a Compaq is always a crapshoot!

Ages ago I got a black screen when I put a video card into a 486 with onboard that could not be disabled. I was told this was a typical symptom of two conflicting video cards. How do you know that you've truly got onboard video disabled? I would try to work with a Compaq tech to make sure that you've got onboard disabled - it sounds like it isn't.

Archived