Home

A question to those USED to 56k and have JKII.

Silent_Thunder

I know there was a thread similar to this, but not exactly, but it seems to have died or something... And noone ever answered it, so I decided to start a new one.

The question is, is the game playable on 56k? Please only answer this if you are used to playing games on a56k. Do not answer this if you have cable but have played JKII MP on a 56k.

So, to those with 56k and have played JKII MP, how bad is it?

I'll be getting the game tomorrow, or at the latest, Friday, and I'd like to have all of the fears resolved by then. Or at the worst I'd like to know that I really CAN't paly the game online, and I should stop hoping...

Thanks for the answers.

first off i have a 64k isdn connection

as i under stand it, q3 BASED games use a default data rate of 5 kilobytes(K or KBps vs. kbps) per sec. that is 40kbps.

juugeing by rtcw and st:ef demos a smaller server such as a 16 player one works out nicely(sp?) however a 32 is not out of the question if the ping is good.

the answer? i will guess that if you can download files faster then 5 K or dial up faster then 40 kbps you are ok.

hope this post was informitive(sp?)

Thunder... we're in the same boat here.

Are you getting DSL or Cable anytime soon? I just moved into a new home about a year ago and they still haven't fixed the phone lines here so they're capable of installing DSL. Really busts my chops. :snear:

Anyways, I have a 56k that connects at 28.8 and I'm a little above-average kill/death ratio-wise than others at CS. When I hop onto my friend's DSL I'm unstoppable (and that is no lie... not even close to an exaggeration). My system is at 1.5, 256mb, 60gig, 32mbgeforce2.

I haven't played JO yet (TOMMOROW, woot!) but I'm hoping some comparison to other games will help. The ping is usually good when I'm on a 8-15 man server. The populated servers aren't out of the realm of possibility but for optimum performance go for the server's with the median player count.

When it comes down to it... lag isn't ALL bad. It's actually an AWESOME training tool if you've decided to dedicate yourself to a certain MP game.

However if there's no hope of DSL in your future... my only suggestion would be to upgrade your system (if that is needed) and get yourself a gaming modem... usually around 100 bux. I'm probably going to take my own advice too... as soon as I can conjure up the money. =)

... need a job. d'oh.

Archived