Home

3DFX VooDoo users Read this!!!

LokiFDK

Greetz Jedi.

OK heres the deal 3dfx went under and we voodoo users got left holding some pretty poor official drivers. Have no fear there is a solution for all open gl games and 3dfx cards! It's called wicked gl and it will improve your gl games frame rates and graphic quality by 200%. Ok 1st off go download the driver from http://www.wicked3d.com/products/wickedgl/default.htm

OK now install the wickedgl switching utility. what this does is lets you pick the games you have installed that wickedgl can scab it's driver onto the same folder as the games exe file.

Problem 1: Woah wicked gl's switching utility doesn't have jedi knight 2 as a supported game so you can't install the new drivers into the game folder!

Problem 2: Most games have the video drivers in the same folder as the games EXE file and wicked gl only installs it's driver into the same folder as the EXE and the video drivers for Jedi 2 are not there.

OK heres what I did. Go to the installed folder where wickedgl is installed. default is.. Program_files/Metabyte/WickedGL/

now copy the opengl32.dll or the ogl_hres.dll into this directory.

Program_files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData

voila! all done now your voodoo screams with power yeehaw!

Just a note for people who like to run thier games in resolutions higher than 600x800 you should use the ogl_hres.dll instead of the normal wickedgl's opengl32.dll. And don't forget to turn your glide on within the game and not d3d.

I see so many people with much greater systems than mine complaining about the game but as for me using these wickedgl drivers the game loads and runs so smooth it will amase you for sure. I am running this on a Pentium 2 350mhz with 256megs pc100 sdram and a voodoo 3 3000 AGP in 600x800res with ingame video option all at medium. I get slowdowns when theres more than 5-6 bad guys fighting me or I am in a huge outdoor environment so I just lower my resolution to 480x640 and everythings smooth as glass!

Hope this will help many of my fellow voodoo users and I hope to write more again soon if people want more info on how to tweak your Bios and voodoo video card to squeeze the last drop of fps outta it :)

I have a Voodoo3 and tried using the WickedGL driver from RTCW (which works fine with Quake 3, Elite Force and, of course, RTCW). The game wouldn't run, continually dropping me back to the desktop. Once I'd removed the DLL, though, everything was back to normal.

The game runs OK on my system (Celeron 450/384MB RAM/Voodoo3) without WGL, apart from very slow (re)loading times and garbled text in multiplayer.

[OK heres what I did. Go to the installed folder where wickedgl is installed. default is.. Program_files/Metabyte/WickedGL/

now copy the opengl32.dll or the ogl_hres.dll into this directory.

Program_files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData

voila! all done now your voodoo screams with power yeehaw!

Downloaded the demo version of wickedgl and installed it, but there is no opengl32.dll or ogl_hres.gll files in the wickedgl folder.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need the registered version or something?

Thanks

Haha. I know what you're talking about. You've got your windows explorer setup to hide system files and such so you don't accidently delete them. To change this follow these instructions:

-open windows explorer

-go to the "tools" menu

-choose "folder options "

-click the "view" tab

-under the "hidden files" folder, check off "show all files"

That will make your .dll's and such show up. However, I tried this technique and I couldn't get the game to work correctly. So what I did do is this (and it works perfect now!)

-in the Jedi Knight folder, open the "GameData" folder

-rename "jk2sp.exe" to "quake3.exe"

-open WickedGL and browse to the "GameData" folder once again

-on the left side of WickedGL choose "quake 3"

-then tell WickedGL to use the hi-res or standard res drivers (whatever you want) and let it do its thing

-finally change "quake3.exe" back to "jk2sp.exe" and run the game

This is what worked for me and I've got no complaints.

p.s. To be able to see the extensions of files, follow the above steps to get the the hidden files, but click the button that says to show extensions of known file types

Ahh yes I forgot to mention that. My bad. when you rename the game and get the WickedGL switching utility to install after renaming quake3.exe or similar it leaves a wickedgl version of glide.dll in your system directory and thats important. Also I haven't tried on Win XP so good luck. Sorry for the previous ommision. D'oh :)

thought up a possible work around to the renaming directory thing.

in the wickedgl folder there is a file called wglgames (not sure what version i have..might be different). Copy the quake 3 line..paste it in there and then edit..

"Jedi Knight",jk2sp.exe,opengl32.dll

not sure if it would work..havent tried it..i did enter a fake game name using above method and then ran wickedgl install and it showed up on list of games.

i might try later.

What i really want though is the ability to switch in-game from my geforcemx2 to my V2 sli's (and u though v5 was old...ha)..want to be able to test both..see which is better for me tweaking wise.

Creep

Hmm... helped a bit, BUT still not there

Opening scrawl still illegible.

And now the MP text is fixed, quite legible, but the sky textures have disappeared! The sky is completely black in every level now. Bespin looks really weird.

Still, at least I can read the MP text.

I renamed each of the .exe files to quake3.exe then installed the wickedgl bits on each (one at a time), got them back, ran them ...

I used wickedgl's quake3 drivers (tried both low and high res). Should I be using the team arena ones, or some other ones? How do I get both text AND sky on multiplayer?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Hey thnx for the help.

I run the game with a PII 400 Mhz, 196 RAM, and a 3dfx Voodoo 2

I'm just confirming and reiterating that it does work with a voodoo 2 if u use wickedgl like this| U need to put the opengl32.dll from the wickedgl folder to the gamedata folder for Jedi Knight 2 and it should work. And it works pretty ok on my computer too. Have fun

most likely, you can't see the opening text crawl because the texture is 1024 x 512 which is way over the max texture size for a voodoo.

if you don't have gamma support, try setting r_intesity higher from the console. (you'll have to vid_restart after to take effect.)

Archived