Home

I don't like the game...

Master Blaster

I just got JK2 tonight. My initial impression is a little disappointment. I loved Dark Forces and the first Jedi Knight and have been anticipating JK2. I played a little of the single player game and a little of the multi-player game tonight. The graphics, sound, and force powers are all top notch. Everything looks and sounds so cool. The quality is evident.

The problem I have with this game is the same problem I had with some other recent FPS games: everyone just plain moves around too fast. Ever see a stormtrooper bob and weave around like he is floating on air? Aren't stormtroopers supposed to be slow and clunky? In the first single player mission I was trying to hit a stormtrooper up on a ledge. He was bouncing around so much and so quickly that it actually made me laugh. Multiplayer is filled with a bunch of jedi bobing, weaving, and jumping all over the place. Coupled with that is the fact that all the weapons seem so inaccurate in this game. Landing a hit on someone seems to be more about luck than skill. Perhaps I am more cut out for tactic shooters. Perhaps I am just getting old and slow. Perhaps JK2 will grow on me. For right now I am a bit disappointed in the gameplay.

I'm VERY disapointed by JK2. I absolutely loved the first JK and MOTS, but JK2 just can't compare. What really ****s me is the is the ST blaster, my favourite weapon in JK has become crap, esspecially with the new primary and alterante fire functions. Plus the projectiles moves way to slowly and the hit box is so damned tiny that my blasts has shot through their armpits on a number of occasions! It's too damned hard to hit anyone. I was standing a metre away from someone and fired 10 shots before it hit them, and my reticle was pointed straight at them. The shielding is useless compared to the first and you have a max of 100. There's also NO incication of when you're being hit when your shields are up. After a fire fight, you just notice you've lost most of your shields and wonder "WTF? When did that happen?!"

The AI isn't impressive at all, Jan shoots me up the arse all the time, all the stoom troopers do is just move from side to side, back and fourth, it's like what red faction's crap enemies do, it's not skilled AI, it's an annoying cheap tatic. The Puzzles are a pain. They don't belong in the game. The only thing it's got going for it are the graphics. Great models, textures, levels and animation.

I really think if Raven make changes in a patch like increase blaster projectile speed and hitbox size, increase the shields max to 200 in SP, give and indication of when you're being hit, and change the force power funcitonality to be like JK1's where you hold down the button, then an indicator comes up showing who it will effect then release the button to initiate force power. Then it would be far more enjoyable

Well, I must say I'm really enjoying the game right now.

I really only have a couple of gripes. So far I'm getting really sick of getting stuck wandering around in SP. Regardless of this I still am enjoying it. And I find the StormTrooper AI to be excellent. They act exactly like they did in the movies!

My second gripe is the MP bot AI. I'm having an extremely hard time dueling with them. Once they're hurt they just walk backwards away and away until they're out of my sight.

But again, I don't really care. Most games have horrible bot AI or none at all. So I think we've still got things pretty good with JK][...

i just started playing SP for the 2nd time on medium mode and its ridiculous.

when you shoot at stormies with a blaster rifle its like your using a water pistol - it just cant hurt them, plus they run faster then the freakin blaster bolts, thats just stupid.

i got up to the bit where you have to stop the escaping slaves getting killed and deal with the ATst;s and gave up.

its absolutely impossible, the stormies all the way up on the ledge sniping me have pin point accuraccy with rapid firing blaster rifles while i emptied an entire full blaster rifle at one of them and didnt hit him once.

as soon as i jump on the big blaster cannon thing they blow it up from under me

i even used cheats to get the rocket launcher but it doesnt seem to work on the atst

this game could rock so hard if they just got the gameplay balance a bit better.

like someone else said they need to make a patch to make the blaster bolts move faster and the stormies move slower as well as make the size of the bolts bigger so they hit easier

the patch should also make it possible to use the force on the swamp level on doods who r in the water.

thermal detenators should be more powerful too, the grenades in MOHAA were even better.

-patch

I don't have time to read all this, but there is one thing that I would like to add. The game is based on the Star Wars universe. Which means that Raven Software had to try to have the StormTroopers act as they do in the movies. And they are quite stupid in the movies. I don't know jack about ai routines, but appearantly it isn't that hard to create almost unbeatable ai. What they tried to achieve is getting you into the movie. I haven't played it yet, so I cannot be the judge of that until tonight (if I can leave work soon enough to get a copy), but please consider the intention of the game.

Originally posted by ]-UnderTOW-[

I'm VERY disapointed by JK2. I absolutely loved the first JK and MOTS, but JK2 just can't compare. What really ****s me is the is the ST blaster, my favourite weapon in JK has become crap, esspecially with the new primary and alterante fire functions.

I felt the exact same way, till I reread the description of the ST rifle from JK1.. It is SUPPOSED to be inaccurate. Sadly though, the first levels kinda force you to use it --which I don't mind, but sometimes feel like it's a bloody waste. You know though, this is actually a boon.. It makes me think about what weapon to use more than just mindlessly relying upon the ST blaster (kyles pistol is much more accurate over longer distances).

LOL, some ppl complain when AI is too stupid and dont move or run, others complain because they do run away.Some complain the game is 2 easy, others cause its 2 dificult, some say the puzzles r very easy, other say they r anoyingly dificult.Some even complain about the game being 2 fast, LOL we r talking about jedis, what where u especting?? Santa Clause?? and if u dont like playing in servers full of ppl jumping very high or running very fast, just create a game with no force powers alowed or join one with those caracteristics.Like Blade Said" Some Mother F****S r always trying to skate up hill!":atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:

The original Jedi Knight was amazing. I was so absorbed with the single player game that I completed it in the smallest screen size, low res in software mode on my old slow computer... but still enjoyed it immensely! Now if you can enjoy a game like that it really shows how good it it :)

I am reassured by the posts which state that JK2 is similar to JK. There were never too many "puzzles" as such, more trying to find out where to go. This sense of getting lost improved the game I think, it made you feel like you were in a vast world and not a tight, restricting and linear level (although it was linear).

I'm going to get my copy of Jedi Knight 2 this afternoon, hooray :D

Archived