Home

Loading quicksave = LAG (mentioned in "Performance" thread)

azy

Oye. . . the return of a long-dead thread.

Well, I just re-loaded about 40 savegames/quicksaves, and I no longer suffer from the dreaded "loading a saved game causes huge performance hit."

But, the solution for me was to get rid of my video and sound card.

Something tells me it has more to do with the Sound Blaster Live than my old GeForce 3 ti500. Or, perhaps it was my GeForce 3 ti500 together with some other obscure factor.

But anyways, I replaced both at the same time, and now I don't have the problem. I now have a VistionTek GeForce 4 4600 and SoundBlaster Audigy (OEM).

I realize that replacing components isn't really a good solution in most people's eyes. . . but I wanted to upgrade anyways. . . the fact that I can now play Jedi Outcast without this show-stopping bug is just gravy.

So, my conclusion: If I had to do it over again, I would have installed one component at a time (and not re-formatted my hard drive), and seen which one cleared the problem up. But, if I were still suffering from the problem, and I had to guess at what to replace, I'd replace the SBLive. I really think it was interacting with some other factor poorly on my machine. If that didn't clear it up, then I'd reluctantly have to believe that this hugely popular game isn't compatible with the hugely popular GeForce 3 ti500. Hard to believe, but the fact that I no longer suffer from the problem pushes me in that direction.

Well, I'm 90% sure I fixed my problem (in an expensive way). . . but if it comes back (Please no!), I'll be sure to post here as I've lept to conclusions before.

Best Regards,

Hurin

Archived