Home

Final Impressions (completed game) *spoilers*

Siege

Well, I just finished the single player about 30 minutes prior to writing this and in short - I'm dissapointed.

From a technical standpoint the game is well developed. Graphics take full advantage of the Q3TA engine and runs pretty smooth even on my average machine. Some of the textures look washed out, but overall the game delivers wonderfully visually. Audio is spot on with all the sound effects we've came to love from the SW Universe as well as the great John Williams music. No complaints whatsoever in this aspect other than some of the final levels being very choppy on my machine at the same resolution and texture detail I had played the rest at an acceptable framerate.

Level design wasn't varied enough. The entire game basically consists of running through Imperial (Remnant) installations flipping switches, finding vents, and jumping sequences that quickly become annoying. I understand wanting to stay true to the Star Wars universe and deliver locals we are familiar with from the movies, but some creativity would have been nice. The constant barrage of puzzles and timed jumping sequences are my biggest gripe however. It does prolong the game somewhat and there are people that enjoy them, but it seems neverending in JK2. You spend 15 minutes figuring out where the switch or vent is so you can progress, spend a few minutes fighting, and then go right back to figuring out how to progess further in the level. It's not that most of the puzzles are hard - it's just that there are so many of them it's obvious they were used to lengthen what would otherwise be your standard FPS romp. There were a few that were fun such as the Jedi training trials, the one on the first level where you find the color coded keys and input them into the 3 screens, and a few more that actually fit well into the game other than just being there to make it seem longer. All of Bespin was spectacular I might add. I defintely had the most fun at that stage of the game. Yavin, although beautiful, was dreadfully uninspired. To sum up the level design and gameplay I would say I wish the game was just a bit more action orientated than heavily favoring puzzles which it does regarding the time factor atleast. Don't tease me with fantastic opportunities to use my lightsaber and feel like a Jedi in the movies and then throw yet another puzzle in my face that is uninspired and not really needed to compliment a fun single player experience. Also the final duel is so underwhelming while the fight with Tavion at Bespin was truly one of the better moments in gaming history.

The lightsaber combat in single player is spectacular to say the least. It rivals anything in the movies and it's truly something to say you feel like an actual Jedi clashing sabers with sparks flying everywhere and the thrill of dispatching multiple enemies at once. Running into a room of 10 stormtroopers and a few Reborns or Shadowtroopers and taking part in such an epic battle is sensational and keeps JK2 from being just an average game. I just wish there was more of it instead of the aformentioned barrage of puzzles and jumping platform stuff.

Multiplayer holds no interest for me. It's rather gimmicky in my opinion and considering such a short development it doesn't suprise me to see it not fully fleshed out. Some may enjoy it, but I find myself a little underwhelmed. The main problem here is that the saber combat is much different. There isn't the same feel there - no sabers clashing or flashy looking moves put together to form an actual saber fight you would see in the movies. Instead it's just running around at an outlandish speed the Q3 engine is known for and hacking and slashing. In time there will be those that master it and make it more strategic and less mindless, but I was spoiled by the single player combat and anything less isn't acceptable.

I wanted to love this game so much. It frustrated me to no end with some of the levels, but I kept on trucking. The thought of it getting alot better if I just kept at it in the back of my mind the whole time. While it did reach unexpected heights such as Bespin - the sum of all parts is measely above average. Raven did a very good job in such a short development cycle and it shows, but I expected a little bit more than JK2 could offer. It's a shame because good Star Wars games are rare and the chances of us seeing even another average game is slim.

My rating: 7/10

Archived