Home

Please read this post before you gripe about sabers and guns

Hubris

I'm seriously getting tired of people griping about sabers and guns, it's gotten old and the game hasn't even been out a week. As such, here's a little rant on this very matter.

I'm going to let you in on a few secrets:

1) You can duel people in FFA, NO ONE ELSE CAN INTERFERE. Default is K, make use of it.

2) "Saber only" is a server option, it's a semi popular server option. In fact, the most popular server yet (The gamespy CTF server) has it as well as a dozen other popular servers and a two dozen unpopular servers. So don't complain that you can't find a server anywhere that has it, it's actually fairly common.

3) If you can't find a server running sabers only, there are INNUMERABLE servers where folks are practicing the "sacred duel." It's called a "Duel" server, hit the arrow button on gametypes a few times until it's alphabetical and look from there. There are literally 50 some odd duel servers, always with good folks in them somewhere at all hours of day or night. (Sidenote, if you also think the force is cheesy (These would be the folks whining about push, pull, grip, drain, absorb, protect, mind trick... ok every single force power has some whiner some where who doesn't know how to counter it.) then there are also servers amongst those saber only/duel servers who run no force!)

4) If you can't find a duel server, and you can't find a sabers only server. (Note that the odds of this are about as high as you going into an FFA game and not getting attacked by people with guns.) Then LEARN HOW TO DEAL WITH IT. There are several counters to guns, in fact, as you progress you'll learn it's actually pretty easy to jack up a mindless spammer. Try pulling the gun from his hands, try pushing his shots back at him, try dashing in on him and using his weak defenses against him by actually attacking him. Mind you, this all hinges around you actually stepping away from that 15 newbie saber swinging melee and using some intelligence. If all the people in FFA stopped what they were doing and addressed gun folks they could continue on their merry little ways of wildly swinging their sabers everywhere.

As a sidenote: I use the saber constantly, I'm not bashing saber users, good saber users see a guy using a gun and grin, it's newbies who point at the guns and start screaming cheese. Strangely it's these same newbies who wade into 15 jedi melees and get owned by a guy with a single thermal detonator.

There are a dozen options ranging from you never ever being exposed to guns (several different ways on a hundred some odd servers) to you being able to counter it using skill.

Archived