Home

Could the crosshairs be more meaningless?

Mowgli

DF3:JK2:JO (love that title!) has very, very silly levels. How do the Imperials get around thier ships? Are they all jedi masters as well? Why are the only entrances to important control rooms vents and airshafts? Why jumping puzzles?

For those who claim this captures a Star Wars feel, ask yourself: how many jumping puzzles did Luke complete? Any? Any at all?

I dislike one-man-army games, but I agree that there isn't really a way to do it as a action/FPS game and make sense.

"We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers."

In keeping with the movies, Jedi don't take on dozens of Storm Troopers at once. Obi-Wan never bothered with actually fighting them. The only big fight that the Jedi kicked ass in was Naboo, and then they just basically stood there as shields.

So, for game terms, they made Jedi more powerful. It is fun. It doesn't really make SENSE, but it is FUN.

The following are taken from the SomethingAwful.com Guide to making an FPS game. They seem to me to relate to JKII

Enjoy :)

2. All computer monitors and screens should flash gibberish that has absolutely no relevance to the game. Optional: monitors can flash bizarre, alien-like looking symbols, despite the fact that the enemies speak fluent English.

3. When placing "bonus" ammunition or items, make sure to put them on top of extremely high ledges and platforms that are virtually impossible to get to. This stresses realism, because if you had a box of high explosive rockets in your home, would you place them on the floor where babies and dogs and the neighbors could get into them? No, you'd put them up in the rafters above your living room! It's only common sense.

5. Somewhere in some level, you MUST include a bridge that has either been destroyed or is not functioning correctly, forcing the player to seek an alternate route. Bridges seldomly function as they are supposed to, and FPS games should reflect this.

9. Arms manufacturers only make large amounts of ammunition for weak weapons. As a result, you should place incredible amounts of ammo for the default pistol around every corner, hallway, and room. If there is an "ultimate weapon" in your game, make sure to never give out any ammo for it, because who the hell would use a gun that kills everything at once?

12. "Realism" in video game terms means "if somebody is shot in the head, they instantly die." No other terms or conditions must be met to be considered "realistic."

13. Enemy aliens often want to destroy the Earth because they've been driven insane from the flashing green and red colored lighting aboard their spacecrafts. All alien rooms and structures should have at least five light sources, each pulsating with a different bright color. This creates "atmosphere".

14. If there is an impassible object in a small hallway, there MUST be a ventilation duct for the player to crawl through and bypass it. There's ALWAYS a ventilation duct, and it's ALWAYS big enough for a grown man with 300 pounds of weapons to crawl through.

16. Bad guys can either fight or flee, but NEVER both. Once moderately wounded, an enemy will run in the opposite direction of their aggressor, regardless of the area they're running into. If they come to an impassible object, they'll run in place. If they're confined to such a small area that they are unable to run in place, they will try to clip through nearby walls and brushes.

17. Standard grenades should never be able to kill anything, unless the player is somehow able to throw it directly underneath the enemy, and the target is already critically injured.

19. It is not unreasonable to think that one man could kill 80 people in under an hour.

22. Bad guys should be incredibly brave. Upon the first moment they spot the main character, they should immediately head towards where the person is located, disregarding all possible forms of protection and cover. "Not wanting to be shot at" is for sissies and landlubbers.

25. There is only one functional button for every gigantic computer console. Shooting the computer terminal will not result in any noticeable difference, except perhaps the console looking "dirty". These computers are merely for show and have no actual function.

30. If an item is pushable (yet cannot be destroyed), you will more than likely have to use it to stack on another item and climb up onto something.

31. Enemies will have (at most) one evasive attack, which they will never use at the appropriate times, often shrewdly electing to roll into walls or take cover behind a small stone.

32. Unlike you, bad guys only carry a single weapon. You're the only person in the entire universe that can carry more than one gun. Bad guys, on the other hand, have an infinite supply of ammunition and the aim of a blind child with Down's syndrome.

33. Every object, item, and entity only has two states of existence: "destroyed" or "not destroyed". There are no intermediate states.

35. When jumping, the player's character should make a sound like he's critically constipated. This is used to alert the player to the fact that he hit the "jump" key and isn't simply defying gravity and floating into the air for no readily apparent reason.

37. If the main character has an NPC partner, the partner should be ineffective and constantly offer essentially useless information. Example: player is standing in front of a destroyed bridge. NPC partner should radio in, saying "Oh, the bridge has been destroyed! Looks like you'll have to find another way in!" He will offer no additional hints or suggestions. Bonus points will be awarded if the sidekick radios in after the main character dies, commenting, "Looks like you've been killed!"

39. Fires are localized to the immediate area. If there is a fire, it will either stay in place or shortly extinguish itself.

40. Destructible walls are the ones that have cracks in them. Even if you're facing a wooden door, and shoot it with a rocket launcher, it shouldn't blow up unless it has a crack in it.

41. Money is essentially worthless. Everything of value should be found laying on the floor or behind secret walls (except for items in really high rafters and platforms).

43. Halogen and fluorescent lights are indestructible. This is because the electric company wants to protect their investments, and bad guys' bases generate a few billion dollars per month in electricity bills

45. "Complex puzzles" means "stacking boxes in order to get to a higher elevation for some reason." As a general rule, the better items and shortcuts are higher up.

53. Evil bad guys like to place doors ten feet above the floor of a room and then litter crates around the area to slow oncoming attackers. (Submitted by Greenmarine)

54. Evil bases and city areas often have walls that look like doors but don't open. (Submitted by Greenmarine)

61. Most evil bases / prisons use a single mainframe computer to control one door; find this computer and you've got it made! (Submitted by DCurrie)

67. In the event that the player is not wearing a distinct uniform, the bad guys will automatically know he is the enemy because he isn't standing around doing absolutely nothing like they are. (Submitted by Nexus Scorpion)

68. Under no circumstances can the player turn his head independent of his body. (Submitted by Xidus)

70. All enemies of the hero must have the same 3 voices and 7 things to shout, barring the high-ranking villains. Aliens and the undead may utter random muffled grunts or piercing screeches. (Submitted by Dan Dargon)

73. If you run out of level design ideas, just make some stupid platforms that move around in midair. This way the player actually wastes a lot of time getting over these platforms, giving him the impression that the map was big. (Submitted by [sAK]LEED)

74. Characters that fall off into space must scream loudly as they fall, just in case the game scientists figure out how to make sound travel through a vacuum. (Submitted by Eric Lee)

81. It is perfectly acceptable, when designing a base, to put the button to open the door to the main control room 3 stories down, behind armed guards, in a sewer filled with deadly tentacles. The door will only, of course, stay open for 60 seconds. The journey from the button to the door should take no more than 45 seconds. (Submitted by Adam Sawkins)

84. The lack of visible guards in the same room as an important object is directly proportional to the number of hidden or enclosed guards nearby. Example: if there are two Gigantium Ripper Sentinels stationed in front of the yellow keycard, the keycard can be retrieved safely. If Ed from accounting is stationed in front of the yellow keycard, you will be crushed like an anemic mosquito the instant you step into the room. (Submitted by Crisis)

85. Obsidian is not the strongest material known to man - brushes are. (Submitted by Crisis)

97. Laser pistols are weak and slow. A laser beam looks like a small meteor, but travels at a very slow speed so the aliens can dodge it and appear to be smart. "Advanced" weapons that use alien technology shoot projectiles that travel at much faster speeds, because they're not dumb enough to use lasers. (Submitted by Hansmuff)

99. If the player spends five minutes underwater and his oxygen supply is almost empty, spending approximately one nanosecond above water should allow him to fully recatch his breath and spend another few hours underwater. (Submitted by Jordan)

Originally posted by Mowgli

Not since Counterstrike have I seen a game where the crosshairs have about as much bearing on what I'm going to hit as this gem.

And could we slow the blaster bolts down a little more? I mean, as it is, it only takes 5 minutes for a shot to get across a room. come on! I want to have a full lunch break waiting for the shot to connect, not just time for tea.

And how's about coding in some more point blank misses, cus thats always fun.

Oh, its all about rewarding use of the lightsaber? Got it. Its all clear now.

And how about some more jump puzzles, hmm? Cus it makes perfect sense. I know when I'm in command of an Imperial post, I put my troops' ammo and Bacta rejuv vials up on ledges in a hanger bay. Ledges that my troops get to by navigating to various overlooking control rooms and activating switches that raise blocks up out of the hanger floor at varying hieghts so that the soldiers can serpentine-jump across the blocks to the supplies. Logical base layout. Makes perfect sense. Oh, and I like to conceal hidden wall blasters in said hanger for no reason to guard this straightforward weapons cache, cus we can't just have them in a guarded ammo bunker room or armory, now can we? Nah.

*rant off*

Star Trek is Logical. Star Wars is Fantasy. No where did I see realistic level design slandered on the box or in any interviews.

The weapons are as different from what your used to as an MP5 is different from an AWP. Learn them, practice them, master them if you wish. Its no secret the heart of the game combat is the lightsaber.

speed of light is impossible to obtain by anything other than pure light.

And lasers dont travel at light speed, they have to be focused into a beam and have a cohesive "barrier" so the laser will do damage, thus they travel at speeds much lower than light. Think of a laser more as a heat ray than a beam of light.

blaster bolts need to be sped up they make b;asters almost ompletly worthless. I never used them after I got the saber. So i kept getting new weapons I wouldn't touch and hd full everything. The shots don't move like ****in snails in the movies.

Originally posted by Tasuki

blaster bolts need to be sped up they make b;asters almost ompletly worthless. I never used them after I got the saber. So i kept getting new weapons I wouldn't touch and hd full everything.

Interesting. You must have cheated then. Or else how did you get rid of the AT-STs, the smaller AT-ST type things, the six autosentries in one of the hangars on the doomgiver(which were way above force jump height) -or on some of the other levels for that matter-, the snipers in nar shadaa, etc.

And how did you beat Galak without using any of the other weapons except you saber? You get my point. Cheater.

~QuadHelix~

heh, actually I killed those mini lightsabre resistant 'AT ST' robot things with my lightsabre a couple times. Just takes a bunch of swings, and don't try to throw the sabre. I also killed Galak with only my lightsabre. His armor is resistant, not immune.

Originally posted by QuadHelix

Or else how did you get rid of the AT-STs, the smaller AT-ST type things, the six autosentries in one of the hangars on the doomgiver(which were way above force jump height)

And how did you beat Galak without using any of the other weapons except you saber? You get my point.

Cheater.

So you need to be a cheater to use saber throw?

Galak wasn't much of a problem, probably took a bit longer but what the hell. During the game I never got the idea to use another weapon except for killing the snipers. Just ran by the AT-STs, they didn't bother me. :)

Originally posted by Morkath

speed of light is impossible to obtain by anything other than pure light.

And lasers dont travel at light speed, they have to be focused into a beam and have a cohesive "barrier" so the laser will do damage, thus they travel at speeds much lower than light. Think of a laser more as a heat ray than a beam of light.

Thank you. I learnt something new today. :D

The movie said Blasters were inaccurate. I agree on the Jedi Master mode, tried that first, may try another level tonight.

But, there you have it, Blasters ARE inaccurate, you aint gonna line up shots in the exact spot each time.

The manual I believe points out the weapons that do.

As for slow blasts, the weapons are slow blasts. Put the game on a shelf and wait for a mod. Or better still, look into a mod yourself (I am trying to be helpful with that, cause its the only solution).

The first thing I'll do is turn the cross hair off till I get the force.

As for jump puzzles, haven't got to them yet. Though the first room where I got a battery pack I think, seemed a bit small to have to jump onto one shelf, then a crate, then across to another shelf.

It did seem a bit out of place, but as said, maybe there are really small loaders that come of the Imperial Shuttle and move crates off that top shelf.

But not to worry, I saw somewhere that you can design you own levels, which seems sensible or possible with these types of engines, so Starwars freaks out there will probably do their own expansions. And they'll fix the jumping problem.

Not sure if this has been cleared up but the blaters in Star Wars are not lasers. That would be goofy and leave you with a kind of Star Trek looking effect. In actuality the "lasers" in the films are super heated gas fired from a gun, therefore they travel at relatively constant speeds dependant on the medium. Not at the speed of light.

moore+, RIGHT ON.

Thank you woad. Finally some one who understands that if its bright it doesnt have to be a laser.

And lasers dont travel at light speed

Really? Focusing light does not slow it down...

And there needs be no barrier. I think that the sniper rifle should have been like a laser, you see it hit instantly then fade back to the gun. It would be a cool effect, if "unrealistic". Think the current sniper rifle but backwards.

17. Standard grenades should never be able to kill anything, unless the player is somehow able to throw it directly underneath the enemy, and the target is already critically injured.

This is the mostm eaningful statment of that list when talking about jediknight. I cant beleive that I can throw a granade into a group of storm troopers and one will die...

how many jumping puzzles did Luke complete? Any? Any at all?

I remember everyone having to jump up to something at least once. I rather like the jumping puzzels in this game, there are few "land on the one foot block" puzzels, and more "jump up to the ledge" ones.

Also, as forthe actual design please do remember that there are a LOT of doors that dont open. I admit though, yes it would be nice if the levels had a million ways in.

did you ever hear about the first pilot for Star Wars that Lucas tested on audiences?

He made realistic space fights, which meant you didnt see lasers fly by, cause they go the speed of light...you didnt see huge explosions cause space is a vaccum.

You know what audiences said? "That's not realistic"

So they made it fake so people would think it looked cool. It's not supposed to be "real" .

Archived