Home

How much can we alter at this moment?

Oberiko

I'm in the process of creating a flamethrower (alteration of the DEMP2 for now) and so far it's going pretty well.

I've got the look and audio down (using the gfx and sound from the fire in the jedi temple) but there's still a problem.

Even though I'm able to cause the flame thrower to look like it's only extending about 8m in front of my character the projectiles still fire all the way across until they hit a wall or character.

I've tried to alter this inside weapons.dat, but even when changing the range of a weapon from the default of 8192 to something like 6, it makes no difference.

Is there something I'm overlooking, or do I simply have to wait for the SDK to be released?

I'm afraid that for this sort of mod you may just have to wait until the SDK is released - either that, or try it with a different weapon. It seems to me that all weapons fire is made to _appear_ to go all the way - it just isn't effective after the range you set. Now, the way I'd do this in Q3A code would be to use the rocket's fire type, and set a lower time limit (much lower) before explosion. Then you can reduce splash damage to nil because a flame thrower doesn't actually explode, heh.

I'm not sure if there's a way to do that from within JK2's config files, but it's worth a look. If not, just wait for the SDK, it should be easy enough from there.

Archived