Home

'wait' and 'play' console commands

Blenny

I've been toying around with a string of console commands to make a little sabre twirl like Obi Wan does fighting Maul in TPM (twirling it by his side when he has some distance between them), just for my own amusment.

Firstly I want to know if there's a console command to make the game play a specific sound effect. Now I've found play - play a sound file (play sound.wav) in a list of Q3 console caommnds. play is listed when you enter cmdlist in the console, but I can't get it to work.

The other thing is the wait command. It seems to last a tiny fraction of a second, where as I need a much longer pause between the other commands. Now I've managed to get the desired effect putting dozens of wait commands one after the other, but I was wondering if anyone knew a neater way to get the same effect. eg. A command similar to wait but with a pause of definable length.

Thanks.

I haven't gotten into the console scripts for JKII, but in other QIII games, 'wait's can be stringed together if you have to. Like this:

wait; wait; wait;

The amount of time that 'wait' waits is one server cycle. Typically in QIII based games that is 20 times a second so apprx. 5ms.

- Vorax

[EDIT]LOL...I just saw the bottom of your message. You already know how to string them...hehehe. To answer the question there, 'wait' is the only thing you can use...as far as I know (97% sure)[/EDIT]

FYI - There is one major drawback with wait. Whilst waiting, the PC will not accept any other keyboard input, meaning if you use them in a script you will be 'locked' out of doing anything else until it is finished!;)

See for example (in multiplayer) this 'discosaber' script:

bind X "set color1 0; wait; wait; wait; set color1 1; wait; wait; wait; set color1 2; wait; wait; wait; set color1 3; wait; wait; wait; set color1 4; wait; wait; wait; set color1 5; wait; wait; wait"

Now ingame, hold down 'X' and your lightsaber will cycle through the available colors over and over again. But... release 'X' after a few seconds and all those other queued 'X's will all have to run, before you can use any other keyboard command.

Archived