Home

Verdict on current status of JKII?

topreacher

What do you think is the Truth?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the Truth?

• We're paying to be Beta-testers
    • Raven just released buggy code (hey, it happens)
    • LEC wanted the game shipped ... NOW
    • Other (please describe below)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BrainStorm

Hurin, you will notice that my post says "half" and not all. You are obviously not in that group.

And I use the term "cobbled" with great affection. As a matter of fact, I am going to put a little sticker on my PC at home that says "cobbled". :)

And about the "rich kids that can afford 200 bucks every 18 months" comment. GAFB! Thats only a little over eleven bucks a month. Skip the drive thru once in a while and *boom* Hey! Look! Now I can afford new PC parts!

Software manufacturers don't have the time and resources to make sure that every piece of software works on every possible combination of hardware, not to mention the other software that may be on all these PCs.

I hope you figure out that PC gaming for the most part is for tinkerers!

If you want games that always work right out of the box, you had better switch back to the console games. But nooooooooo, you want to customize this, and customize that, and play this MOD, add this, change that, and etc. which is probably why you started playing PC games in the first place.

That is why you don't hear me complain when I usually end up buying some new piece of hardware every time I buy a new game. And to end that note, this is the first game in a long time that I did not have to buy any new hardware for!

And for all of those trying to play current generation games with basically next generation equipment, you should have seen it coming.

I understand that there are definately bugs. I will not bother debating this point with anyone. So your options are to wait for a bugfix or replace the part that the bug affects. EOS.

Mmm, so this is how some PC gamers have gotten. People have forgotten games of yore (if 2/3 years is too much to think back at), where games came out of the box flawless. Only recently, have PC games become more and more flawed. I'm a big SP modder, so I know my tweaking, especially when it comes to released source code (I made my AL|ENS in AvP much faster). I stay away from console games for that reason (I still have my NES though).

I'm upset that this is the current tone out there. There is nothing you can't program. The problem is do you want to spend the time to code it? I do.

Hell, JK ran on my computer that had a Cirrus Logic chipset on it. That was not very DX friendly, but you could play it at 640x480 with no problems. Same with Quake2, and AvP. MOH works fine on my current system, same with Alice (Hello Raven).

Yes, you'll always have progress and eventually newer games won't be able to work on my PC, but have you ever heard of Backward Compatibility? So that those who still meet the requirements can still play it?

I had my say, and I turned the game back. LucasArts and Raven will not get anymore money from me. It's really, really sad. But I guess the current thinking out there goes that “if you're making a game for a console, test the living hell out of it.” Else, ” just ship it out and worry about bugs later, you can always patch.” I guess high quality only means High Graphics.

Hurin is right, communication is key. Civ3 is a perfect example. Firaxis is constantly in contact with everyone at apolyton's forums.

Personally I love the game. The shooting is fun, but the saber combat is where its at. Nothing better then running around in third person whiping out a ton of storm troopers it looks sureal. Trouble for me is ever since I hit the bar level where you first get to do combat with the saber in single player, theres a lame glitch in third person where 2 jedis appear. One frozen, other fluid with the animations, sinking into eachother makes it so ugly. Basically ruining the game since the most fun is from going into third and raping everyone with the saber, least for me. Please god, hope the patch fix's this .. otherwise a great game thats just gunna go un played :(

Personally I love the game. The shooting is fun, but the saber combat is where its at. Nothing better then running around in third person whiping out a ton of storm troopers it looks sureal. Trouble for me is ever since I hit the bar level where you first get to do combat with the saber in single player, theres a lame glitch in third person where 2 jedis appear. One frozen, other fluid with the animations, sinking into eachother makes it so ugly. Basically ruining the game since the most fun is from going into third and raping everyone with the saber, least for me. Please god, hope the patch fix's this .. otherwise a great game thats just gunna go un played :(

ps. athlon 1.2 ghz, xp home, gf2 ultra tried on 28.32 and 23.11 no results either way ... if ya can help please do

Hurin, dont worry about it. No harm no foul. [Vader] Apology accepted [/Vader] ;-)

(dang its hard to remember where all the threads I respond to are when the search function is turned off)

Thrawn05, remember that when they develop a game for a console, they know the exact hardware and etc that they will be developing on. When developing on a PC, they have millions of possible combinations.

I am not making excuses for those who developed this game. Obviously there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out. I am in complete agreement that they need to be addressing this.

I usually wait awhile on buying games...to get a 'finished' product
Erdrick, I use the same approach but for Operating Systems. Maybe I'll pick up Windows XP when XP-SE comes out. But it never will - it would be an admission that the original had a cr@pload of problems. I've never seen such a tidal wave of updates streaming out of M$ for an OS. In the second half of the year M$ will release the first official point release (or whatever you want to call it) for XP. Maybe after that XP wouldn't have quite as many problems. Seeing the continual game compatiblity patches sure doesn't inspire much confidence.

This is a serious thing that needs to be fixed !

Then again , i dont even know if they really know what would be solution to this problem since they havent answered my e-mail to tech support and i send it in at the first day when this game was released in the area where i live..

Most of the games or their devs are experiencing the what is said in the old Interplay quote from gamers to beta-testers...

I need a fix for that multiplayer problem .....

:sweat::lightning:

It's great how people assume a game is absolutely, shiningly flawless if it runs okay on their particular system, despite a considerable amount of bug reports from others. It's like watching someone trip an old lady and thinking they're still a great guy because, well, they've never done anything bad to you.

And let's not drop all standards and just accept that every pc game to be released in the future will be barely playable until a sullen, silent developer eventually gets around to releasing a patch, if they feel like it. While I can name games that were released in a worse state than JK2 (in which case, as others have pointed out, the developers tended to be vocally supportive from day 1), I can name many older and recent games that were released in a decent state and didn't give nearly as many people nearly as many problems: JK1 (never patched!), Half Life, NOLF, Undying, Amerucen Magee's Alice etc. etc. Other recent Quake engine games like RTCW were in a much better state than JK2.

Testing *can* be done ahead of time (Blizzard), especially when a company has the resources of LucasArts. And if something slips through, then it shouldn't be a huge deal to acknowledge it and work on a fix.

I think I'm with the people who are refusing to buy games until 6 months after they're released. I'll at least be waiting a few weeks and checking message boards to see what state a new game was released in and how the developer is responding to it. Companies who test their products and/or support their customers should be supported, but those who don't should have to wait until they finally do before they make a sale.

I voted "other", because I've only had one problem with the game, and that was disappearing sky textures, that was fixed by deselecting "Fastsky". The gameplay's fine, and the old SW feel is there, but just some little annoying let-downs:

Disappearing bodies (Hate that!)

Wall-hugging cross-hair

Uninspiring AI

IMO Sound and Visuals are fine, but if the above probs were sorted then it would be perfect!

:deathii:

Archived