Home

56k?

No1zLegacy

Hi,

I'm intrested in getting this game and I am wondering how it runs for us poor saps who are stuck with 56k dial up connections.

Is online multiplayer even playable for a dial-up user?

How's the netcoding in this game?

I've noticed that most companys these days

(with their big OC3 connections) :mad:

are just forgetting that most users are still stuck with dial-up, so they make the netcoding more partial to dsl users...even cable users are getting stiffed.

I hope this isn't the case with this game.

The online game runs fine for low ping connections especially to Duel games, since there is little action going on.

In FFA games, even with a lower ping, I notice a hit in frame rates, but this might be a graphics issue.

I have a

Pentium 933Mhz

128M RAM

32M nVidia TNT2

I believe you mean for high ping connections. The slower the connection the higher the ping.

With 56k you can manage to play, but it won't be very smooth. Expect some warping on players, and don't expect to play on servers with more than 8 people without a performance loss.

If the host has a good connection then its alright for me, i usually have a ping of around 200-300. The only real problem is the same problem as in any Quake III engine based game, there's gun lag (and force) it takes a fraction of a second for the gun to fire once you command it, same thing with force. So playing with guns isn't all that fun, you can't really hit the target if its moving about. Fourtunatly there isn't saber lag :)

Ok, it sounds like I'll just have to find a T1 server or better to play on. ;)

I always feel a 1-2 second firing delay in any game anyway, so that won't bother me.

Back in the days of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II I always used the saber anyway, even if everyone had guns, heh.

So I guess I'll be fine. I'll pick up the game tonight then.

Thanks.

Played wonderfully in a 8 player maximum game.

Few things though that'll make it difficult.

First, not so difficult, find a server with a good ping for you and max players of 8 or less.

Sec, more difficult, find a server with good players on it, not idiots.

Unfortunately on a slow connection searching becomes a pain. But fortunately for me I can get cable, and will be soon so I can server and my mates here in Brisbane can join in on their 56 k connections.:cool:

Archived