Home

Newbie needs help...please

cabber

I've spent the better part of the last few days reading through most of the post relating to the game freezing up, but haven't seen anything regarding my issue. I've tried to outline my system in the signature so if you have questions just look in there. The game started flawlessly with optimal settings, but within the first minute to two minutes the game frooze and XP stated that "jk2sp.exe" has caused an error" (sp) and wanted to send it on to Microsoft. I backed out of the game to the desktop and everything was overly bright. The only way to get the bright screen back to normal was a reboot. To make a long story short, each time I try and play the game it gives me the exact same error message within seconds of starting to play.

Here is what I have done to try and fix it.

Drivers-27.42,27.50, and 28.32-no luck with either

Video settings- changed the settings to default, turned off gl, turned off anistrophic (sp), and just about everything else written besides hacking the registry.

I called tech support and went through the text book with the final result being "I don't know". Which I appreciate more than guessing.

As a result of that conversation, the tech suggested I post my issues here. Does this sound like anything you all have run into?

Thanks for the help.

cabber

Asus P4T-E

P4-1.8A GHz

Gainward GeForce4 TI-4600

512 Megs Corsair PC800 RDRAM

Win XP Home Edition

30,80 Gig ATA 100 WD

CDR-RW 168X 10X 40X

SoundBlaster Audigy Ex

i've had the same problem, but i am on win 98se. however, it only happens when i change the video settings, and it only happens occasionally. here's an example: i change from 800x600, to 1024xwhatever, and the error pops up, and i end up back on the desktop with everything brighter than it should be. but, if i change resolution one step at a time i.e. from 800 to 960, than it switches without any trouble. its obviously not xp, the video card i'm using is nvidia geforce 2mx 400 64mb pci. and i've used the most recent XP drivers (28.something and 23.11). but as i told you it usually only happens when i try to change resolution. but, i have gotten rid of the brightness without restarting by: a) restarting the game WITHOUT restarting computer and choosing a different resolution b) having desktop color on 16-bit (seems to help). does it happen to you when you just normally play the game?

or when you try to settings?

Originally posted by JSM

i've had the same problem, but i am on win 98se. however, it only happens when i change the video settings, and it only happens occasionally. here's an example: i change from 800x600, to 1024xwhatever, and the error pops up, and i end up back on the desktop with everything brighter than it should be. but, if i change resolution one step at a time i.e. from 800 to 960, than it switches without any trouble. its obviously not xp, the video card i'm using is nvidia geforce 2mx 400 64mb pci. and i've used the most recent XP drivers (28.something and 23.11). but as i told you it usually only happens when i try to change resolution. but, i have gotten rid of the brightness without restarting by: a) restarting the game WITHOUT restarting computer and choosing a different resolution b) having desktop color on 16-bit (seems to help). does it happen to you when you just normally play the game?

or when you try to settings?

You mayb be on to something. I'll try to leave the video settings alone and see what happens.

damn that sucks. whats funny (or ironic) is that your system is much more advanced than mine is:

p3 celeron 600mhz

geforce 2 mx400 64mb pci

256mb sdram

a lot of the people on these forums have comps much better than this, but have had a lot of trouble running the game. oddly enough, mine probably runs (in some cases) just as well as a superior system. the problem could possibly be limited to your copy of the game, because you really shouldn't have such video complications with your specs. this might sound stupid, but if you have a friend with a geforce 2 or 3, try using their card on your computer and running the game. other than that i'm out of ideas

:(

Archived