Home

Problem With AI I Noticed

Guest Jomero

Not sure if it's been addressed, but if you guys are making a patch I figured I'd give you my input on what I've noticed.

Firstly, GB is a great game. Even with the minor bugs you speak of, it is lightyears ahead of any other RTS game my friends or I have played (and I say that with honesty, for it is not my nature to kiss-up).

What I have noticed is that the enemy AI is not as smart as it could be. Granted, it is one of the smartest RTS AI's that I have seen! So much so, it is an extreme pain to play against on the harder settings. However, the problem I've noticed is how it manages it's resources.

I once made an enemy force stop production completely just because I stopped it's influx of carbon. The AI wanted to send it's workers to a southern patch of trees to gather carbon, and I made sure that they didn't survive the trip. Now, the computer was very stubborn. There were several other patches of carbon to the east and west of it's base, and it was a place I was nowhere near. It would not send it's workers out to it, and because of it, we came to the second bug I discovered.

It appears that the computer will disregard other sources of food while on the land. Because it's carbon intake was nullified by me, it could not replenish farms. The computer had several workers who were obviously farmers standing in the middle of dried-up farmfields, and the funny thing was, there was a whole herd of eopies and other animals used for food sources running around their base (and around said farmers).

No food, no carbon, no more unit production. Needless to say, it was an easy kill after that. If the computer just would have not depended on that one particular patch of carbon or depended completely on farms, it would have had a better chance. I don't know how hard it would be to throw in a few more "If/Then" statements into the code, or if it's even more complicated than that. I just wanted to let you know of what I discovered.

Again, this game is great and I love playing it. From what I have noticed, this game has far fewer bugs than most other games that are released for retail sale. Thank you for your time.

Now, if only I could get it to connect to someone else over my DSL modem (a whole other problem altogether) :(

-Jomero

Archived