Home

Catastrophic hard drive failure from jkII?

paradigm9

I installed JKII on my primary slave drive...western digital caviar 120gig ata 100. The drive is almost brand new and has all my games on it...still has about 112gig free.

So, playing JKII and one day my quick save won't quick load and gives me a bad chunk error? Something like checksum failed. I continued from a different save game and a few days later the same thing happened...it only happened to the quick slot, but that may just be because thats the file i load most often.

I shut down and rebooted and all hell broke loose. My computer was molasses....after finally troubleshooting to the slave drive I found that the JKII directory had been corrupted and caused the disk to become unreadable. Rebooted into safe mode command prompt and fixed the disk, now everything seems ok.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Is this game specific or more of a new hard drive failure? thank gods that wasnt my system disk...

Specs:

win2k pro all updates

athlon 1900+ not oc'ed

msi k266apro2 ru

512mb ddr pc2100

geforce3

sblive

seagate cheetah system drive

wd1200 caviar slave

how is a game going to corrupt a physical disk? I would recommend that you run some utility against your hard drive (tufftest). Hardware components are sold so cheaply and produced so fast these days that quality control is low. Jedi Knight 2 has some bugs, but this is not one of them.

Archived