Home

Is JK2 Any good?

dreamstation

Ok i have been playing Red Faction ever since it hit the shelves last year, but [V]olition have recently decided to close the official rf forums, so i think it's time to move into a new game!

I have recently seen JK2 and it looks very nice. I am interested in buying it, and i am wondering is it worth the money im about to spend?

Thanx for anyone that replies!

single player is excellent and not too short + i think the multiplayer game is the best multiplayer game atm, because its the only big game (i think) that has both strong normal weapons and strong melee combat weapon + add force powers (and light/dark sides) -> it has so much more depth than the usual Q3/UT (dont know about red faction, i always had 400-500 ping with demo) type games, that its unlikely many people get bored at it soon, because there are so many playing styles to try + it has all the special moves that take a while to learn

single player is excellent and not too short + i think the multiplayer game is the best multiplayer game atm, because its the only big game (i think) that has both strong normal weapons and strong melee combat weapon + add force powers (and light/dark sides) -> it has so much more depth than the usual Q3/UT (dont know about red faction, i always had 400-500 ping with demo) type games, that its unlikely many people get bored at it soon, because there are so many playing styles to try + it has all the special moves that take a while to learn

what he said.:D

just ignore the whiners, all things in jkii DO have a counter.(repeter alt fire whiners:RUN AWAY sheeh)

welcome to the fourms and enjoy your stay. hear *forks over lightsaber(re) candy bar gift TM*

dont let the doofs get to you.......

buy the game and dont look back. if you hate it take it back to the store, its as simple as that.;)

Originally posted by dreamstation

Ok well i have 56k and live in Australia. Will i get a good ping, and is there many good Australian servers in JK2?

Also, does JK2 have bots? Like in Quake3, can you verse them in skirmish sort of game?

Thanx

re: servers. hmm i would guess that there are some oz servers.

i am in the US and lots of servers have really bad pings to me. therefore the ones that are bad for me, should be good for you:D

re: bots. yes but the SP ones are smarter then the MP ones.

poke around. lots of info floating around;)

Sweet Full bot support! :D How many bots can you have on at once? Does anyone know if there is a good Australian community surrounding this game, and will i lag on 56k?

Also i have a Celeron 600mhz, 192mb sdram, gf2 gts and i am wondering will it run smooth on my pc?

Thanx

I'm in brisbane, connected MP into two games and not had any form of lag on a 56k connection.

Problem is finding the servers mon-thurs, Mate just got cable though, and I'm looking into it, so if you get it and can't find a good server (I reckon you would on Friday and Saturday nights) give me a PM.

Don't look at playing more than 6 people, though this IS fun even with 6, get to know the other fighters too.

If your picky about fighting, then just look at the whinges here. And if you think you agree with them, don't get it.

I also have a good spec system, AMD 1700+, so I can't comment on a bad system what its like, the graphics make all the diff for me as well. Hate ugly games, hated this a bit with its ingame buttons, but I've since warmed to other features.

Sweet Full bot support! How many bots can you have on at once? Does anyone know if there is a good Australian community surrounding this game, and will i lag on 56k?

Also i have a Celeron 600mhz, 192mb sdram, gf2 gts and i am wondering will it run smooth on my pc?

Thanx

yes you are well within the sysreqs however you will have to turn off the fancy gfx stuff. download the rtcw demo if you like to see what the gfx and mp is like. note: rtcw sysreqs are HIGHER then jkii's.

max number of bots: i have a p4 1.4Ghz w/512ram

at about 200 stormtroopers the screen went kinda berserk and started blinking and stuff.....:D got um all though:D

dont want to think about what it would do on my old banshee 16 meg'er /shudder;)

JK2 is a good game for the first question

Not sure about servers in Australia but i usually have maybe 3 games where my ping is less then 300. Fortunately the ping in these are around 50 and sometimes as low as 17. But it's either CTF or FFA, hoping the other gametypes get servers with low ping for me.

I'm on an ISDN Lan at my school so it's not the greatest connectiong but better then my 56k connect at home.

If servers end up being bad, just put a couple bots in and practice until you either get a better connection or fast servers appear, either way you'll get your money's worth (especially if you download the SP map "Ladder")

Well, if you want an unbiased opinion, youve come to the wrong place, but I'll do my best.

JO is a good game overall, but it takes some warming up to thanks to a slow beginning. Youll most likely not enjoy the guns only single player levels, but once you grit your teeth and get through them the game really shines (even to non-starwars fans). Once you get your lightsaber youll start having a much better time, and after your Nar Shadaa levels, the game is nothing but gravy. Some of the puzzles in the beginning suck due to just repetative button hitting, but that doesnt last long. Most of the negative reviews Ive read dont really look at anything else but the first 4 levels to get their negative opinions, unless they complain about having to jump really high onto a ledge, which is to be expected in almost any starwars game where Jedi are involved.

Multiplayer can be hack and slash if you dont have a fast connection, but it is very playable on a 56k if you tinker with the rate settings in the console (56k is usually pretty smooth with rate between 2800 and 3300. Some people use cheap tactics, but thats to be expected in almost any MP game, and there are pretty easy ways to deal with them thanks to The Force hehe.

No - it's poodoo! Seriously, I wouldn't waste your money on it. You could do better things with your money like buying that great game Frank Herbert's Dune or possibly, Erotica Island. You can also get the entire back catalogue of Leisure Suit Larry too for the same money together a copy of Hercules in New York with Arnhult Shwarzenegger - probably the best film he's ever made - on DVD.

I absolutely regret buying it and didn't spend every hour I've had free losing myself in the amazingly immersive and huge SP game and I haven't been sketching out and designing levels that I want to build the rest of the time and driving my fiancee nuts by not doing any of the stuff I'm meant to be doing for my imminent wedding. I don't know what Raven have spent the last 18 months or so doing but it wasn't putting any effort into superbly adapting the Quake 3 engine to produce what is probably the best Star Wars game in a hella long time and more than a match for DF, JK1, XW, TF and XW-A.

Hope that answers your question!

;)

(Wonder how many flames I'm going to get because of this post?)

Archived