Home

anakin skywalker/darth heavy breath

D'akt Sangwar

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

I didn't tell you that, but I do have the Episode I Scrapbook, which says: "For the word Jedi, George Lucas was inspired by the Japanese Jidai Geki, which refers to a drama set in medieval Japan during the time of the samurai."

It's actualy a very cool genre where you see alot of the parallels between jedi and samurai. If you ever get the chance to take a film class you willl probably hear quite a bit about Jidai.

• 2 weeks later...

Its kind of strange drawing parallels between Jedi and Samurai after having read Hagakure. Yamamoto Tsunetomo talks a lot about rushing in and attacking which doesn't seem to fit with the Jedi Knights form. Also samurai were supposed to follow their lords unto death which Qui Gon doesn't do when he argues against Amidala in Ep1 (what did he say... something to the effect of, "we will help you in what ways we can but we can't fight a war for you.") Of course, the Jedi are only shadows of what was the samurai...

Owen really is Luke's uncle, being the son of Claigg Lars, the man Shmi Skywalker marries while Anakin's away at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant

[/b]

actually,

Owen is Luke's step uncle, I think, because owen is shmi's stepson, and anakin's stepbrother....therefore...anakins son's relation should be step nephew....making own stepuncle....

btw, owen is about hte same age as anakin....

now that was just from the ep2 book, so disagree if you like, but i doubt they would mess up something like THAT...

If you mean the Jedi are mere shadows of a group of drunken thugs who oppressed the general populace of the feudal country in which they lived, then I suppose you are correct

Hmmm... whats your source for this info? Drunken thugs? I am not romanticising samurai but to say they were all drunken thugs that beat up a bunch of people seems like a pretty opinionated statement.

Originally posted by Raynaga

If you mean the Jedi are mere shadows of a group of drunken thugs who oppressed the general populace of the feudal country in which they lived, then I suppose you are correct.

--R--

Originally posted by Pvt_Dancer

Hmmm... whats your source for this info? Drunken thugs? I am not romanticising samurai but to say they were all drunken thugs that beat up a bunch of people seems like a pretty opinionated statement.

On a historical note:

During the eighteenth-century, the Tokugawa Shogunate subdued the nobility by emasculating it politically. Stripped of power and required to spend part of each year at Edo (capital of Japan) so that the Shogunate could keep a close reign on them, the samurai passed their lives by pursuing pleasure.

They spent frantically on fine silks, paintings, concubines, boys, the theater, and the redecoration of their castles. Around 1700 one scholar observed that the entire military class was living "as in an inn, that is, consuming now and paying later."

Eighteenth-century Japanese novels, plays, and histories portray the samurai engrossed in tavern brawls and sexual orgies. These frivolities, plus more sophisticated pleasures and heavy costs of maintaing an alternate residence at Edo, gradually ruined the samurai.

The samurai were origionaly noble warriors of Japan (much like European knights), but with the assertion of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the samurai eventually lost all power and respect in Japan.

To add some weight to my argument, I have studied history at Salisbury University. The quote I referenced came from "History Of World Societies, 5th Ed."

• 2 weeks later...

I was always told (in the days before the rumor and speculation heavy internet) that Darth Vader meant Dark Destroyer. Dark for the side of the force and destroyer because of what he did to the Jedi Order. You could stretch the other sith lords names to mean what they do. Maul is the force attacking the jedi without explanation at each encounter. Sidious for the insidious behind the back scheming. The man was on the same planet as the Jedi council, and was planning their destruction without the Jedi noticing. I would discuss Tyrannus, but I don't know how to do that spoiler thing.

Ok, this is where is make a post that i'll probably get flamed to hell for:

the japanese word explanation for jedi makes a lot of sense when you consider that Ep4 is influenced pretty heavily by Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" which is obviously a samurai flick, I haven't actually seen it myself but from things i have read, the 2 films show a remarkable number of parallels, i'll look it up and get back to yous.

Archived