Home

To everyone here: interesting idea.....

rork73

As you all know the SWMA (Star Wars Modelling Alliance) has build up a great library of incredibly beautiful models of almost everything important that was ever in the SW movies.

Now, what I was wondering is, what if we make a small petition in the form of a general question to all those who submitted files to the SWMA, to ask them if we may use their models for this game - respecting their rights and their huge efforts.

If done in a very friendly and respectful way, I think that a lot of people will allow us to use their great work as a base for new models. (Maybe we could make restrictions, like that this stuff will only be released on one site and everytime a model is used the SWMA and/or the creator will be notified seperately and/or kept up to date.....every release will include a file pointing out that this wasn't possible with the help, etc, etc).

The POINT of all this is that it will take MUCH LESS time to release the models everybody really wants - also for map making it'll be awesome to start out with finished and very accurate models. It's pretty personal ofcourse, but to me, it's much easier to start with a high poly model and work it down to make it work than build one up that is perfect.

If we'll just do everything on our own, I think that hardly anything will be done, just cause it just takes a lot of free time to create a good model that is accurately textured.

Well, I'd love to hear your thoughts about this idea.......maybe I'm wrong, but like this we might release the obvious stuff pretty quickly when the tools are ready & we can move on to more special things.....

Just a thought ofcourse...

It's a great idea, and would be perfect in about 10 years when technology allows 100k+ polys per model in a game. As of now, it ain't gonna happen. :( At most, the models in JK2 have maybe 4 or 5k polys (not completely sure bout that).

Even if you took the high poly models and lowered the poly count on them, the amount of time you'd put in to make them look good would be better used in making one from scratch.

Archived